Aquatic turtle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dvanwol

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We have had our Map turtle and two fancy goldfish living in the same tank for 4-5 years. The map turtle was very small when we got him and he has no pray drive. They are in a 70 gal. tank with a Fluval 406 filter. Not sure what the water temps are but the pH is 8.6, Ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are all at 0.

We recently added some fish from my mothers established tank of about one year. Since then we have had problems. I never should have taken her fish but she was moving and had no one to give them to. The goldfish are now loosing scales and there were two Danios that had very strange growth on mouth. I pulled the two Danios and put them in quarantine tank and they are doing better with no meds and just frequent water changes.

Since reading post trying to find answers I have read that alot of you do water changes. Since we have a basking log with heat lamps we get a lot of evaporation and just add to the tank every week. We have never done water changes and have never had any water quality issues. What are the reasons for doing the water changes? What could be going on with the fish and can it effect the turtle? We are getting ready to move and that turtle is the only pet in my house that my husband likes!! Nothing can happen to him and the goldfish have been with him for almost 5 years now! Why would it be loosing it's scales.

Water changes are important to replace trace elements in the water after they have been used up. Not to mention there are other problems then ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to be concerned about. I guess I would see it as general cleanliness. With a turtle and goldfish and especially after 5 years you've never done a water change? Just always topped off? You don't ever siphon any waste out of the tank or anything? What test kits are you using for your water? How old are they? Goldfish themselves are very dirty and I couldn't imaging adding a turtle on top of that in a 70 gal. I don't mean to sound like I'm trying to get on you about anything just looking for details.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have to agree with the comment above. It seriously sounds like no water changes have been done in 5 years????

Water changes are the maintenance on a fish tank... Like the litter box of a cat or the cage of a hamster. If you don't water change everything gets nasty and honestly I'm surprised they are still alive.

Caleb

Hey guys,

I know the concern. I understand. I have cats, dogs and guinea pigs. Maintaining my animals and giving them proper care is my 100%. Having the turtle we were concerned with changing the water too often as they get upset by that. Maybe my kit is no good, I will take a sample to the pet store soon. I took a video so you could see that the tank is defiantly NOT nasty.

We have no gravel as when turtle was little we were worried that he would eat the pebbles.

We moved three years ago and brought some of the original tank water with us. It does not smell bad and is not cloudy.

That still leaves the question of how often are water changes performed?

On a liquid test kit you have to shake the heck out the reagent bottles AND the testing tube. Otherwise it can give a false reading of 0ppm. I know this through personal experience ;)

Caleb

That still leaves the question of how often are water changes performed?

On a liquid test kit you have to shake the heck out the reagent bottles AND the testing tube. Otherwise it can give a false reading of 0ppm. I know this through personal experience ;)

Caleb

Going to go test now and shake some more. :)

How do you post a video?

Thanks for the advice. The tests came out the same with vigorous shaking. Maybe my kit is bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
In any case, I'd say no water changes in years is the source of your issues. Not cleaning any animals cage in years is bound to cause problems.

Caleb

This is kinda one of those things that pushes my buttons because it's been years since the tank water was changed.

That's like saying you can't take out the trash for the next 3 years. It's basically the same thing. All that waste is piling up. Most dissolves into the water so you can't see it but it is nevertheless still there. They are breathing and swimming in their own crap.

Sorry but this stuff really bothers me. It's very commonly accepted on here that water changes are performed weekly.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom