are guppies more prone to diseases?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kagentx

Aquarium Advice Activist
just like many people, my guppies die often after about a month of purchase. It's as if the fish store injected some disease that'll kill it in a certain amount of time just to get more of your money.

my tank is a 50 gallon heavily planted tank with
7.0 ph.
0 ammonia.
10ppm nitrates
3KH
canister filter change every 2 weeks and 25% water change every week. tank has been running for nearly two years. My 4 swordtails, 3 SAE, 8 cardinals, 6 glass catfish, 2 cories, and 3 baby mollies are all in great health. My guppies just fall one by one from pop eye, red streaks on stomach, tailrot, pinecone. grr probably those contaminated LFS tanks. But why only guppies?

This is a common problem from what I understand. The best thing to do, if you want guppies, would be to find a reputable breeder around you, or online. Most guppies found in the LFS are very much inbred, and after a few generations of imbreeding, things start to go wrong. This is likely the problem you are encountering.

So, my advice: Look online or in the phone book for reputable breeders if you are serious about keeping high quality guppies. If you ever get AFM, there is a list of breeders in the back section of the magazine that I believe has guppy breeders listed.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom