Are you kidding me????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gsdsar

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have Ich. In my 26g BF. just went through a mini cycle. Last night WT came back with Ammonia 0, NitrIte 0 and NitrAte 20. Fish looked great last, no problems. PH 7.8. Had been doing regular PWC to get Nitrites down. Last 2 tests have been normal

This evening, white spots on almost everyone in the tank.

I swear, I never had this many issues when I ignored my tanks. It's like the more I try and do it right, the harder it is.

So how do I treat?

Stock- 1 Boes Rainbow, 7 Neons, 4 Pygmy Cory, 4 Oto, 1 clown striped Pleco ( baby) It's a moderately planted tank. With low light, hardy plants.

Figured it was brought in by a dwarf Gourami I bought a week ago, he died yesterday. No spots on him though.

Need something safe for all inhabitants. Have already started upping the temp to get it to 86. Can I add salt? How about medicine? If it saves the fish, I will gladly kill all my plants. Sorry plant lovers. Fish health is more important.

To treat ich: Raise the temp to 86-88f. No less than 86. 90 is too high. Increase aeration. The higher the temp the less oxygen the water holds. Increase water change and gravel vacs. Leave the temp up for at least one week after the last spot is seen. Medication and salt is not usually needed. http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

The plants shouldn't be effected by the heat. If they melt a bit they should make a recovery after temp returns to normal.

Most people like salt, in one of the few who advocates a med (Rid Ich +). My loaches brought it to my tank and this med is good with sensitive fish. I also had german rams in the tank as well. Worked for me, worth a try. If you get it just follow the directions accordingly

Don't use salt with cories. You could take the cories out and then use salt in the 26bf.

I'm using Ich Attack. Hope the cories survive.

Last time I had to deal with Ich I used Ich Attack and it took about 3 weeks to clear it up. It smells awful and will smell up the room the tank is in. it makes Prime smell like roses.

Thanks all. So far so good. Temp is up, all are alive.

If the temp up does not fix it, then I will remove the Cory's. if I can catch them, and try either salt or Ich attack. They are just so tiny. Catching them will be a PITA.

Back
Top Bottom