bala shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TommyP

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all, i have a bala shark that is about 3 inches right now at first he was swimming around all happy all over the tank. recently he has been just sitting still for the most part, slowly re-adjusting himself kinda hanging out in the center of the tank but seems top heavy. he hangs at an angle and whenever fish come to him he quickly moves away so he has energy. during feeding times i have noticed he is not really eating, or if he is he spits it right back out. anyone know what do to? or if hes just being a pain in the butt. I know they do best with 3 or more maybe hes lonley? my tank is 30G

Well, first off he is going to outgrow a 30g tank. I have a 55 and won't buy a bala because I feel it needs more space. How long has the tank been running? Is it cycled? What are your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, water temperature... How many fish have you got in the tank?

Well, first off he is going to outgrow a 30g tank. I have a 55 and won't buy a bala because I feel it needs more space. How long has the tank been running? Is it cycled? What are your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, water temperature... How many fish have you got in the tank?

I know the bala shark can get 12-14'' so I am planning on giving him away if I do not end up getting a bigger tank in the long run. The tank has been running for about a month now, and previous to that he was in my 10G when I first bought him about a month before that. My paramaters are perfect. I test them every other day and everything lines up correctly with the readings on the paperwork I have.

I have several other fish in the tank. I have a yellow lab cichlid, golden gourami, 2 red platys, 2 african frogs, pinapple swordtail, mickey mouse sword tail, a red tail shark, rainbow shark ( these 2 do not bother him ) and thats about it. I just added 4 black skirt tetras recently

Your 30 gal is overstocked which could be getting to him now.

Any of those sharks should be in no less then 55 gal for just 1, so when you put them all in together they should be in a even bigger tank. I know it is frustrating when you see how small they are and think they have plenty of space but once you see them in the correct tank size you think wow I can't believe the difference in them.

Can you post any pictures?

Sorry about the delay. I have a pic on my cell but I am at work now. I noticed last night when I was feeding the tank that the bala shark was stuck in the top of the circulation pump :( no more bala shark....

Back
Top Bottom