Beta is struggling to swim. =(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goxgetxfat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My beta fish, since last night, has been having issues with swimming. He can swim fine against the bottom, but he can't seem to lift himself up to get to the surface to eat his food. He looks like he's struggling to even swim across the floor, nevermind the ammount of effort it seems for him to not be able to get to the surface. I've changed the water, cleaned the tank, and everything. Nothing has helped him. Is this just his time to go? Or is there something else wrong?

How warm is the water? Did you clean the entire tank? If so, that's not good. You probably killed all the good bacteria. What is your normal water changing schedule? How long have you had the betta? He probably has a swim bladder issue, and you can try feeding him boiled, shelled peas. What do you normally feed him?

I feed him Topfin pellits for bettas specifically. For a treat, I give him bloodworms. (mostly just once a week, sometimes twice if I'm home longer) The temperature of the water isn't regulated, but it is under a window because I also have marine plants (and the light that I had over my tank before was literally baking my fish (the previous fish). I do a full water change Monday. And around Thursday-Friday I do a 40% water change. How do I get the peas small enough for the betta to eat them? My betta can barely swallow the pellits when they absorb water.

Thanks for the help.

microwave frozen peas and peel off the skin, then cut up little bits and feed them to him (i used a toothpick)

Yes, I microwave them for 3 minutes in a coffee cup, run under cold water, squeeze the middle out into a spoon, and mush with my fingers. Then I just scoop a little out on my finger and put it in the water. My fish LOVE peas. :)
I would advise against a full water change, since it can kill all of your good bacteria. Just do 2-3 25-50% water changes a week, and make sure the new water temp is the same as you took out.
I know what you mean about the light baking the fish! I had to change to a blue bulb for that same reason. What does the temp usually stay at? Bettas need to be in water that is between 78-82*.

Back
Top Bottom