Betta acting weird after water change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allomimi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey, I have a 2.8 gallon tank with one betta and changed 50 - 80 percent (don't remember, ech) of the water because I noticed fin rot and read that a water change would help, plus there was leftover flakes on the bottom. The water was warmer than the original, though. Then I turned off the lights. Now he's hiding behind the filter. Did I not de chlorinated enough? What exactly can I do or should have done?

Your gonna have to give us some specifics like what chemicals you used also you really should not do 80 percent only around 30 I'm guessing it's just cause of how much water was changed

You never wanna do 80% at one time UNLESS that's what your fish are accustomed to, I do 50% weekly on my tank with no issues but the general rule is 30%, how much warmer was the water you added back into the tank? What conditioner did you use? Is the fish eating? What are the other symptoms your fish is experiencing?
And tbh 2.8 gallons is to small in my opinion, the fish would be much much happier in at least 5 gallons

A 2.8g with a 80% water change, if the Betta was in the tank while you changed the water. It's most likely stressed out. That's alot of water in alittle tank. And if if the temp of the water change was colder or warmer you can make him sick from stress. When you do that big of a water change with Betta's you gotta take them out of the tank with a bowl they can swim into and keep them in it and keep the water same temp. til you are done cleaning the tank. The water has to be the same temp. These little guy are very sensitive. Test your water too.

A 2.8g with a 80% water change, if the Betta was in the tank while you changed the water. It's most likely stressed out. That's alot of water in alittle tank. And if if the temp of the water change was colder or warmer you can make him sick from stress. When you do that big of a water change with Betta's you gotta take them out of the tank with a bowl they can swim into and keep them in it and keep the water same temp. til you are done cleaning the tank. The water has to be the same temp. These little guy are very sensitive. Test your water too.
Might wanta add alittle aquarium salt to keep the stress level down before it gets sick.

you might be feeding too much, you can feed 2 or 3 times a day with no problem, if there is no leftover food . if there is left over food you should clean it up . you can't leave left over food in that small of a tank .
I think chlorine will dissipate after one day with a strong bubbler.

Back
Top Bottom