Betta Fin Problems - Please Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltypuppy

Aquarium Advice Freak
So here is the story. I have had an awful history with Halfmoons from my Local petstore. I thought it was my poor care. But it is only the halfmoons that ever have problems. So I am trying to figure out what is wrong with him.

Is it possible that Petco has Halfmoons with bad genes or what? Its so odd...

Parameters :
Ammonia : .25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: .05ppm

So As far as I know those are good parameters... with the exception of the ammonia. My tap water has .25ppm though. So there isn't anything I can do about that. This is also tested on the side that DOES NOT have a filter. This is a divided ten gallon tank, only two male bettas are housed in it!

I am going to put pictures of him up... so any help at all would be appreciated. I have tried clean water, and salt... to no avail. he has only gotten worse. He eats well and is full of energy. The fish he shares a tank with is 100% fine. No damage at all.

Last edited:
img_1678488_0_1a6534dee5973c449baa9fecec87b1ca.jpg

img_1678488_1_5165167cf359825a5caee032ba314f14.jpg

img_1678488_2_bcfbe90e04f3d8e8937a292bbabc6a56.jpg
img_1678488_3_8943fc001642c1e0d1171e24efb1ae38.jpg

I have him for a about 6 months I believe... his fins have just gradually get worse. I even tried salt when the damage was really minor... and nothing. So I would appreciate any advice, or ideas...

I only see one small tear in the last pic if that's what you're talking about. Is there any sharp plants or decor in the tank?

I have been having similar issues with my betta and my levels were normal too. From what I have read bettas can be very touchy. If one thing is out of whack they get stressed and their immune system is compromised and unfortunately their beautiful fins show the results.

Like I said my Crowntail has been having similar issues so I looked at the whole picture. I now feed Rama a mixture of freeze dried brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms and hikari betta pellets (which he loves). I now also add vitamins to his water and sometimes add a drop to the pellets before I feed him.

Also another thing that I think has really helped him is I added a current breaker to the filter. He never hid from it but they are not strong swimmers and in nature live in rice paddies so there is little current to disturb them. I took a clean empty two liter soda, cut it to fit about 1-2 inches when attached to the filter from the front of the tank, punched a hole in each side of the angled side and used zipties to attach it to the filter. This way I get maximum filtration but minimum current. If you would like I can take a picture for you to give you an idea.

Are you adding salt with every water change or just when he is sick? I have a 10gal and its a tbsp for every 5gal. If I do a 25% change I add 1/2 tbsp to just keep the electrolytes up in his tank. The salt is not filtered out so when I do WC I need to dose the tank back up with the right amount of salt. I am still learning but just from the research I have done and things that I have seen work for Rama this would all be my advice. =)

And BTW your little guy is beautiful! I wish they would be more friendly because if I could I would have a 55 gal full of them. They really are gorgeous magical looking fish.

I only see one small tear in the last pic if that's what you're talking about. Is there any sharp plants or decor in the tank?

One is plastic, the others are all silk. But the plastic one isn't sharp and it doesn't nick pantyhose.

I have been having similar issues with my betta and my levels were normal too. From what I have read bettas can be very touchy. If one thing is out of whack they get stressed and their immune system is compromised and unfortunately their beautiful fins show the results.

Like I said my Crowntail has been having similar issues so I looked at the whole picture. I now feed Rama a mixture of freeze dried brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms and hikari betta pellets (which he loves). I now also add vitamins to his water and sometimes add a drop to the pellets before I feed him.

Also another thing that I think has really helped him is I added a current breaker to the filter. He never hid from it but they are not strong swimmers and in nature live in rice paddies so there is little current to disturb them. I took a clean empty two liter soda, cut it to fit about 1-2 inches when attached to the filter from the front of the tank, punched a hole in each side of the angled side and used zipties to attach it to the filter. This way I get maximum filtration but minimum current. If you would like I can take a picture for you to give you an idea.

Are you adding salt with every water change or just when he is sick? I have a 10gal and its a tbsp for every 5gal. If I do a 25% change I add 1/2 tbsp to just keep the electrolytes up in his tank. The salt is not filtered out so when I do WC I need to dose the tank back up with the right amount of salt. I am still learning but just from the research I have done and things that I have seen work for Rama this would all be my advice. =)

I have a bottle buffer on my filter. It helps a ton. I only use salt when he is having trouble like this. My fish have never actually been sick. Its just fin problems all the time with the halfmoons! I have a Fantail / delta tail in the other side and he is perfectly fine.

Hmm since you said you have another betta in the tank I am assuming you have divider. Do you have one filter? Which side is it on? If you do only have one on the other side maybe this betta isn't getting good filtration and air on his side. Or maybe something is built up between the holes in the divider. Next time you do a water change take the divider out and swirl it around or scrub with your cleaning brush in your siphoned out water. I have been thinking about this all day and since it has been going on for awhile it has to be either a stress or environment situation that keeps causing the rot or like you said maybe just a poorly bred fish. Keep us updated

Hmm since you said you have another betta in the tank I am assuming you have divider. Do you have one filter? Which side is it on? If you do only have one on the other side maybe this betta isn't getting good filtration and air on his side. Or maybe something is built up between the holes in the divider. Next time you do a water change take the divider out and swirl it around or scrub with your cleaning brush in your siphoned out water. I have been thinking about this all day and since it has been going on for awhile it has to be either a stress or environment situation that keeps causing the rot or like you said maybe just a poorly bred fish. Keep us updated

The filter is only on the one side. But when I test the water I test it from the side without the filter. So I know he is getting adequate filtration. I also alternate gravel vacs from side to side each week...

Back
Top Bottom