Betta fish has a bloated belly abd bulging eyes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Louise0328

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, so I've been treating my 10 gallon community tank with meds for the past week because of a fungus problem. Today, I came home from school to find that the betta who shares that 10 gallon tank has a very swollen belly and bulging eyes.

He does not swim nearly as much as he used to and just kinda sits on the top of his drift wood. He's been eating fine the passed coupled of days and I just notice the symptoms today.

I am currently getting a 2 gallon up and running so I can separate him from everyone else. Anyone care to help out?

Here's a picture.

Attachments

• image-2511878129.jpg
    image-2511878129.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 125
Feed him peas. Often times fish get backed up and these aid in digestion. Can cause swim bladder disease and bloating/infection

Keep the water extra warm and make sure it is changed 50% daily.

Act fast.

Agree with Scarecrow. Bettas can get constipated easily. As for the eyes, watch them closely. If the eyes bulge too much, you may treat for popeye as well.

I literally just saw him poop. Should I still give him some peas, just in case?

Yes you should.

I feed all of my fish peas once a week. It's good for them. Granted not all of them will actually eat them, it's still worthwhile.

Peas will not harm your fish, I've had bloated fish a few times. Only twice did they survive. Swim bladders are essential to their well being.

As well, pop eye is serious. I'd suggest getting some meds for that.

Always better safe than sorry.

He looks like he has a case of popeye .. Treat with kanaplex or anytype of bacterial medication..popeye is a caused by a bacterial infection

Those are some of the symptoms of dropsy but there's a good chance that its not I would use the other suggestions but keep a close eye on him. If he's not swimming as much and his scales start to pop out you might want to look into it.

Look at him from the top down. If he looks like a pinecone he has dropsy. Dropsy is caused by poor water quality. Take a look at this link. There are several diseases listed, including dropsy. Either way the first course of action is to check your water parameters. Please post your numbers so we can help decide the best course of action. Once you have your parameters, do a 50% water change. You may need to do more water changes today, but that will be based on what your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrate are at now.

Tropical Fish Disease Identification with pictures and cures.

Back
Top Bottom