Betta help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D_Tristan22

Aquarium Advice Freak
I came home and I went to check on my tanks and in my 5.5 gallon tank I have 1 veil tale betta.

He was stuck to the filter. Well his tail was. I took action to help him off but now his fin looks really injured.

Is it normal for a betta to get stuck like that and also what can I use to help feel a little better?

It sounds like your filter is too strong - did you get the correct size for the tank? In the meantime, I have always found that tank decor such as driftwood or rocks and plants give my betta places to hide or take shelter from whatever current the filter is making.

Mm well it's a stater kit so the filter came with it. I ended up putting sponges around the intake and it worked marvelous:)

I have a few decors but I'm going to switch it up to live plants once I get a better bulb.

Stress Coat and maybe a pinch of aquarium salt. Keep the water clean with frequent pwc. They do like to rest on filters and if his tail was hanging down, oops!

Also it can be if he was sick... Hope he is alright.

Stress Coat and maybe a pinch of aquarium salt. Keep the water clean with frequent pwc. They do like to rest on filters and if his tail was hanging down, oops!

Also it can be if he was sick... Hope he is alright.

I did about 40% pwc. And added stress coat. He is doing a lot better now. Thank you.

I did about 40% pwc. And added stress coat. He is doing a lot better now. Thank you.

I am so glad. Maybe you can get a stem of something from your lfs and let it float at the top, Bettas love lounging in the bend of a plant, or on a leaf. Even a stem or leaf from plastic plants with soft or smooth edges so it doesn't tear the fins.

What type of bulb do you need, is it a screw in kind with a big base or a candelabras small base, or the kind with pins and a tube light. They sell plant bulbs for the screw in kind for around $8 and you can get 6700K rated daylight florescent bulbs for around $4. The long pin ones are around 12 for a small size. You don't have to have a fancy fixture to grow plants. :flowers: Thank goodness or I wouldn't have gotten started in plants. Plants make the fish so much more comfortable.

Check out Cholla wood too, here is a pic of one of my previous Bettas resting on a piece which hadn't sunk to the bottom yet, he was almost sticking out of the water but it was his favorite place. even after weeks and it eventually sunk he laid in it on the bottom for a little while. This veiw was from the open top of the tank looking down.

60074-albums9317-picture50084.jpg

I am so glad. Maybe you can get a stem of something from your lfs and let it float at the top, Bettas love lounging in the bend of a plant, or on a leaf. Even a stem or leaf from plastic plants with soft or smooth edges so it doesn't tear the fins.

What type of bulb do you need, is it a screw in kind with a big base or a candelabras small base, or the kind with pins and a tube light. They sell plant bulbs for the screw in kind for around $8 and you can get 6700K rated daylight florescent bulbs for around $4. The long pin ones are around 12 for a small size. You don't have to have a fancy fixture to grow plants. :flowers: Thank goodness or I wouldn't have gotten started in plants. Plants make the fish so much more comfortable.

Check out Cholla wood too, here is a pic of one of my previous Bettas resting on a piece which hadn't sunk to the bottom yet, he was almost sticking out of the water but it was his favorite place. even after weeks and it eventually sunk he laid in it on the bottom for a little while. This veiw was from the open top of the tank looking down.

60074-albums9317-picture50084.jpg

Thank you:)

I'll look into the stem plant you suggested.

I need a screw in light and thank you for the advice on the light I'm so new to this it's so confusing.

Ha that's really funny. I don't have a pic of mine at the moment but I'll post one up later so you can see how he looks:)

Back
Top Bottom