Betta wont move from bottom of the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MeatGoesHam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello friends,

Today I added a crowntail betta to my 10gal aquarium. Currently housing 3 Corys. I had to turn off the air pump and add a baffle to my hang on back filter but he still wont move from the bottom. Am I getting too ahead of myself thinking he'd come out of his shell that fast or is there something else going on? The Corys have been extremely active + healthy and I have tested the water parameters and theyre fine. Any help would be appreciated! :thanks:

These little guys are sitting in cups and small spaces often for quite awhile and lose muscle strength. And sort of lived alone. They all have their own personalities. Take that into consideration. :)

But also how are your water parameters? Did you acclimate him?

Is the tank run through and fully cycled, like over a 2 month period? Info about aquarium keeping / cycling, if interested is a link in my signature for lots of good tid bits and helpful /useful information.

This particular betta was purchased from a place that actually keeps their bettas in aquariums instead of bowls! Definitely less space than he has now but it was 10x better.
Water perameters
ammonia almost 0ppm-nitrite 40ppm-nitrate 3ppm - temp 78 F- KH 120ppm - GH 120

I acclimated him over 30-45 min in bag adding water every 5 min in the last 15 min.

Did you get your nitrite and nitrate reading the wrong ways round? Either way your nitrite is way too high. 50% water change immediately. Test every day and do 25% water change if there is any detectable ammonia or nitrite until you are consistently seeing 0ppm everyday. Dont add anymore fish until you are cycled.

What’s your water temperature ? In cold water they will stay close to the bottom

Alright thanks for the advice. This tank has been cycled for 2 months now so that shouldn't be an issue. I did a 50% water change today and he seems to be doing a little better but he's been getting freaked out from the Corys zooming around the tank all day.

Check the NitrIte again too, if you haven't. It should be zero. If it isn't 0 then do another water change, that should help even more. You should really do water changes until it is zero though.

Nice to hear the lfs keeps their Bettas "free" - to swim around!

Alright thanks for the advice. This tank has been cycled for 2 months now so that shouldn't be an issue. I did a 50% water change today and he seems to be doing a little better but he's been getting freaked out from the Corys zooming around the tank all day.
If the ammonia and nitrites arent 0ppm, the tank isnt cycled.

Back
Top Bottom