Black Diamond Cichlid Reoccuring Fin Rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spkerofthehouse

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

1 year old female Black Diamond Cichlid aka Polleni
55 gallon African Cichlid tank
water parameters are normal and healthy

This fish is very important to me and I'm concerned. I first noticed ~6-8 weeks ago that the tail and right fin was frayed and rotting away. All of my other fish are doing great, and my water parameters are on point. I promptly treated the tank with Melafix for a week, and the Polleni quickly healed. 1 week later the fin/ tail rot started up again and I treated again for 10 days, symptoms disappeared. 5 days ago, I woke up to find his tail split and right fin AGAIN showing a reoccurence of fin rot damage. Started treatment again with Melafix, tail and fin healed over the past few days, but this morning the dorsal fin is starting to show signs despite ongoing treatment.

I am started to believe that this is a secondary symptom of a more serious bacterial infection. But the fish is eating and acting normal and I really can't find any other symptoms other than the abnormal reoccuring fin/tail rot to diagnose an illness. I am concerned and think it may be time to use antibiotics. She is very important to me. I do not have a hospital tank. Can anyone advise the best drug and method for treating this fish?

Thank you

I am quite certain that isn't the case, as this fish is by far the most dominant in the tank and all the others are terrified of her. The condition of her tail and fins seem to sometimes heal and then the problem recurs. On the pectoral fins it starts with an almost white patch in the center, not on the edges. The tail and dorsal fins are sort of splitting a little bit. Also I am noticing on one side of the fish, there is a small region of skin near the belly that seems strange, a little lighter in color and the scales are imperfect. I'm pretty worried...

Back
Top Bottom