Black Ghost Knife - convulsions / twitching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YourPalCM

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had a Black Ghost Knife for about 6 months. He seemed incredibly healthy and happy - in fact, I just commented to my wife how much bigger he was getting ... until tonight. I just looked in the tank he shot from one side to the other, slammed into the side of the tank, and started twitching like mad - actually I would describe it more like convulsions than twitching. Extremely strange - and concerning. Then he found a spot to burry his head in some live plants ... and then 5 minutes later shot like a rocket again into the glass and start convulsions again. Now he's just kind of burrowed in a plant but breathing very heavy.

Any ideas? I'd think something just really spooked him, but the twitching was extremely odd.

I am interested in this also, I have a albino buenos aires tetra that is doing the same thing, swimming quickly across the tank while having these twitchy convulsions that are strong enough to make him turn. Then he'll run into something (usually the java moss) and stay there with his head stuck in th moss. He's pretty much stopped eating also. Nothing external that I can see. I'm thinking he might have a parasite or tumor that is pressing up against a nerve, or in his brain that is making him act crazy. He's been this way for a couple of days and I have no idea what to do. Everyone else in the tank is happy and has no symptoms. My 55 gal tank is almost two years old, and I do weekly water changes, and my water parameters are not off. If anyone has some advice for YourPalCM and I, I could use some thoughts. I'll let you know if I see any changes.

Back
Top Bottom