Black Phantom Tetra missing tail who did it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tukie2kie

Aquarium Advice Regular
today when I was looking at my tank i noticed that one of my Phantom Black tetras was missing his tail. I am fairly sure that it was bitten off but i havent seen ANY fin nippinng out of any of my fish, but I assume it was one or more of the other phantom blacks from my school (they are fairly new and i supposed have to establish a hierarchy)

here is what I have in my tank (20gal)

8 glowlite tetras
8 phantom black tetras
3 peppered cory cats
1 bolivian ram (female)

the only agression out of the ram is just chasing/charging not once have i seen her nip at any of my fish. I have seen a few of the phantom blacks briefly fight but not for very long.

My questions is what should I do about my tail-less phantom?

he seems to have figured out how to get around but are the other fish still going to pick on him or is there anythign I can put in the tank to help him heal or will it even fully heal?

I do not suspect fin rot becuase it was literaly overnight the tail just disappeared and none of the other fish have any fin issues (or any signs of nipping)

my chemicals are stable

0 ammonia
0 nitrite
and between 10 and 20 nitrate
temp around 76

what should i do?

Natural remedies made from extracts of melaluca (tea tree) and west indian bay leaf, respectively. They promote healing by preventing secondary infections. Great stuff to have on hand. I buy the pond stength and use a medicine dropper to dose it.

well te fishe ended up dying... coudlnt really swim very well and kept fumbling aroundbeing pushed by the filter/ and air bubbles. So i guess the school only wanted to be 7.. .no other nipped fins

sad that i let my first fish die

but i think its over now

sad that i let my first fish die

How could you :( ..... glad to hear most of ur other fish are doing well .... i would also try to stay away from using any medication in ur tank if you can ... only use it as a last resort .... i prefer the more natural methods :) ... later bud

Ray

I also think it could be the bolivian. I have a male in my 55g and he is pretty fiesty. I haven't actually seen him take a chuck out of the other fish's tails, but my dominant angel had a chunk missing from her, so I suspect the bolivian. My dominant angel doesn't take any crap from the other angel, so I don't think it was him.

If not the bolivian, then it could be the tetras, but usually their nips aren't that severe.

Watch the bolivian closely for awhile and see if she is misbehaving. ;)

Sorry about your loss. :(

Back
Top Bottom