Bloated betta, maybe dropsy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hercules99

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, my betta megladon has been bloated for nearly 2 weeks now, initially I thought it might be constipation but he's been eating normally and everything seems to be going through him just fine.

Now I'm very worried it's early dropsy.

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
Bloated belly (no pineconing yet) , small white thing coming out of his anus (about the size of one if his scales)

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates all 0
pH 7

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
10 gallons, running since September

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
Unsure

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
6 fish, one betta five harlequins, they've always just avoided each other and megladon lived in a community tank in the pet shop so adjusted well to my tank which is a lot emptier by comparison

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
This morning I did a water change of a gallon, half of this was from vacumming the gravel, the other half just scooping water out as once the gravel was disturbed dirt was free floating.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
I've had him since the beginning of October

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
No

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
A mix of betta flakes, tropical pellets and blood worms. I also gave him a pea a few days ago when I thought it was constipation

Attachments

• IMG_20191211_214011.jpg
    IMG_20191211_214011.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20191211_213802.jpg
    IMG_20191211_213802.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20191211_212927.jpg
    IMG_20191211_212927.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 40
Redo your nitrate test to double check that zero. Honestly I would fast him for several days (3ish) then give him frozen daphnia. Since bettas are carnivores it's better to give them daphnia as a laxative. Daphnia are also good for them. How much do you feed your betta per day? Do you ever fast your betta?

Redo your nitrate test to double check that zero. Honestly I would fast him for several days (3ish) then give him frozen daphnia. Since bettas are carnivores it's better to give them daphnia as a laxative. Daphnia are also good for them. How much do you feed your betta per day? Do you ever fast your betta?

If flakes, I feed him a pinch in morning and a pinch in the evening (so about 9 or 10 flakes enter the tank), however the harlequins also eat these so he definitely isn't over eating on those days.

When pellets about 6 (so roughly one each) but i crumble them to make them small enough for the harlequins too, thats also twice a day.

He gets 2/3 freeze dried bloodworms per week too.

They fast every Saturday. I have fasted him for a few days and given him a pea but the swelling hasn't gone down. I had him quarantine for a few hours (I don't have a big enough tank to do it for days so I just floated a container in his tank) and he is passing stool, it was white ish. Im at a loss of what to do :/

Back
Top Bottom