Broken bones, brusing to fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alexgcali

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello

While trying to net a tiger barb, the wire frame of a net crushed it, maybe brusing or breaking bones. (The person trying to net it said he thought he broke its back and I dont know what really happened or what made him say that)

There is no gross deformity observable, but he was swimming upside down for about 12 hours after then impact. About 24 hours later he is right side up, gasping a little more than normal (same as after then injury), and looks like his scales have some black "stress spots" where the barb is normally gold/red (though I just got him, this could be his normal coloring)

Anyway, he is in a hospital tank for now. Is there anything I should do to treat it? How long before he can return to the community tank?

Thank you very much!

Honestly, I would not have purchased that fish knowingly that it has just been smashed. Hope that it will be ok. In terms of care, im not sure...

LOL, I did not purchase the fish - this guy was moving and had to get rid of the fish. I would not have bought tiger barbs if I this was something I spent money on.

Hopefully the fish natural healing can repair bone or tissue damage. Then if he perks up Ill know when to return the fish to the community.

thanks for the good thoughts!

That sounds like he might have done some damage to his swim bladder when he squashed it with the net.

Yes, swim bladder disorder. It is possible to clear the swim bladder of air by sort of giving the fish the heimlich maneuver.

Back
Top Bottom