Callamanus worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela1108

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm pretty positive my bolivian ram has them. I know it is super contagious but I was wonder what have you guys had luck treating them with? I've seen really mixed reviews and the best being on levimasole. Have any of you found this/know where to get it?

I've also seen Fenbendazole listed as helping for some people and doing nothing for anyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've had mixed reports on levamisole also. Some say it only stuns the worms, but others say it kills them. I've also heard that fenbendazole works. I don't know of any contraindications between the two, but it definitely could be researched a bit if you do decide to combine them.

Well I ordered the food with the levamisole. I will see how that works. If it doesn't then I will get the other stuff and combine. Ugh. Just such mixed reviews on both of those

I've had mixed reports on levamisole also. Some say it only stuns the worms, but others say it kills them. I've also heard that fenbendazole works. I don't know of any contraindications between the two, but it definitely could be researched a bit if you do decide to combine them.

That was the impression I got that levamisole was better than prazi (?) but also confusing on if the worms are only stunned (and need gravel vac) or if actually killed?

Yeah. It's all kinda confusing and it doesn't seem like there is a set/standard thing to do :/

I went with the lev because it seemed to have more good/that's all that worked posts

Yeah. It's all kinda confusing and it doesn't seem like there is a set/standard thing to do :/

I went with the lev because it seemed to have more good/that's all that worked posts

Have you tried pm'ing jlk maybe?

Not yet. I asked around like 3 aquarium clubs/on Facebook groups and most people suggested lev. I went with the majority advice and got the lev. Food from peabodys paradise

Yeah I might just end up ordering that too. I dunno. We will see how the lev works

On a kind gross/weird/science note I know I should (and will) treat the whole tank but I almost want to separate the one I know is infected into a small tank and play the "count the worms" game as they are gone lol

Don't know if this will target the worms but is the 3% Epsom salt drip for pellets no good in this case.

Not a big fan of salt with fish but it may be less harmful than a med and potentially kill of the worm? Or is this treatment better for internal parasites?

Good question. Can't see any harm in trying?

The question/concern I think would be if the worms/eggs? can be simply expelled or if a wormer is needed to kill the worms (and if the wormer will kill the worms/etc anyways).

Reading through the Australian websites it's a little amazing with talk of goat and horse wormers with then aquarium dosing rates. Seems like by the seat of your pants stuff.

Same questions/debate on if it kills or just stuns and also if the eggs are killed as well.

I treated my tanks with levamisole. It worked. But I purchased it on Aquabid and the instructions that came with it were inaccurate and I overdosed. I lost a lot of fish from the overdose. The survivors are worm free though.

Mix in some garlic with their food in a small container and it will work no worries. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes to absorb the dewormer and your all set.

I treated my tanks with levamisole. It worked. But I purchased it on Aquabid and the instructions that came with it were inaccurate and I overdosed. I lost a lot of fish from the overdose. The survivors are worm free though.

Thanks for the post! Shame on the fish :(

Did it kill the worms or did you have to gravel vac / bare bottom tank? Also did you need to redose?

I've heard to do a lot of gravel vac. I was planning on doing a new scape with new plants anyways so while annoying I will just do some of it then too.

Basically they are pretty annoying to deal with - like it can be a long battle

Thanks for the post! Shame on the fish :(

Did it kill the worms or did you have to gravel vac / bare bottom tank? Also did you need to redose?

There were two doses. It killed the worms. Any fish that were affected's stomachs blew up as the worms died inside them very quickly, and i lost them. But that was due to the overdosing. And most of my smaller fish died? I treated two tanks at the time. The plants were fine. I gravel vacced once during treatment and as i was removing the meds. Only the strongest fish made it. But thankfully never had a problem since.

Fenbendazole made it in that package also ;)

Sent from my LG-D850 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you so much :) I got it today- it made it to the mail room a few days ago but just ran over :)

Back
Top Bottom