Causes of Betta darting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nuclearkielbasa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What would cause a Betta to "spazz out"?

He's about a year old, very active and eats well, the only illness he's had so far is a stubborn (but mild) case of fin rot.

The other day, he was just wandering around as usual, when he suddenly just took off darting and thrashing about, as if he was scared of something sudden, or as if something had poked at him. Then, as soon as he started, he was back to his business, acting as if nothing happened. Went right back to wiggle dancing and patrolling the plants.

There was no sudden noise or movement, or any change in lighting when he freaked out, so it's not anything outside his tank. Ammonia alert ,as well as test, is coming up in safe region, so it's not ammonia burns.

Could this be an internal issue, like a parasite? I do not see anything external that would be causing him issues. Or maybe he just spooked himself somehow?

Oh, forgot tank info - 10 gallons with no tankmates, heated to 80degrees. Aqueon HOB filter, with sponge baffle.

Last edited:
I've had the same issue as well, but she stopped after I changed 25% of her water, since it was getting dirty already somehow. I wouldn't recommend following my advice, though, since I've only been with her for five or four days.

Check NitrItes and NitrAtes.

tests9-6-7.jpg
tested for both - unless they are giving falsepositives?

I do 20% tank change every 3rd/4th day; you think i should go ahead and do one, in case these are false readings?

He hasn't had another fit so far, but i will be keeping a close eye on him.

Also use a magnifying glass if you need to and check anal vent, gills, eyes for any tiny worm looking things even skin for lice look Ovid to round and tiny pretty much flat.

If.no just watch water parameters. And look for stringy whitish poo.

Back
Top Bottom