classroom tank, rainbow trout massive death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How so? We're speaking strictly of species which are indigenous to the area they are released in and are an integral part of the ecosystem.

There's a general sentiment that even native fish species once kept in aquaria should never be released back into the wild primarily from the risk of introducing pathogens or something to that effect. I've seen it posted time and again but I don't know what kind of credibility it has. FWIW though the government also promotes stocking programs locally with hybrid fish, if that means anything.

Anyhow, my concern with a heavily stocked tank like that, in essence a feeder tank, would be o2 depletion and a bunch of toxins being produced. But if everything checks out through the nitrogenous waste tests and it has plenty of aeration then it could've been someone nuking the tank.

for the most part, im pretty sure that the crisis has passed. although my friend had many theories (zombies, fish holocaust, etc...) the water changes worked and everything is back to normal, minus about 125 fish...
there are about 30-40 of them left, and they seem to be doing great.
I'll continue to keep you all posted if your interested :)

all trout are now 3/4 to 1 1/4 inches long
my friends and i are counting about 30-35 trout
all water perameters are good and the trout are very active
i think we may still be able to release some come spring! :)

Back
Top Bottom