Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shana0310

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm not sure if this is the proper forum but since it seems to be the most active...here goes.

Friday I tested my 5.5 gallon betta tank. It's fully cycled and heated. The readings were:

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5
Ph - 7

Well I decided I wanted a change from my old gravel. So I did a 100% water change, removed old gravel and added the new (fully washed).

It's been 2 days. I'm using the same filter and its media. The only thing new is the gravel. Today my water was:

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - .25
Nitrate - 5
Ph - 7

Is the Nitrite # causing my cloudy water? Would that be due to the gravel? I assume it will cycle itself out. Are daily tests necessary until it does?

Thanks! Oh and if there is a better place I should have posted this, let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

General discussion is where it would be best.

This sounds like a fairly new tank. It's probably just a bacterial bloom. Water changes and time will clear it up it's harmless.

Cloudy water is likely a bacterial bloom. There was probably quite a bit of bacteria in that gravel, enough that removing it caused a mini-cycle. It should go away quickly as the bacteria in the filter multiply to catch up.

Cloudy water is likely a bacterial bloom. There was probably quite a bit of bacteria in that gravel, enough that removing it caused a mini-cycle. It should go away quickly as the bacteria in the filter multiply to catch up.

Don't steal my thunder! ⚡:D

Thanks!!! I kinda thought that may be it but wanted to ask the experts.

Back
Top Bottom