Coincidence..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neurotic_Fish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey,in less than 24 hours i lost 2 zebra dannios for no apparent reason!I watch them moving very fast and seem healthy when i put them.I put them in the tank (18 gallons) yesterday,and they were ok.I did the full acclimation progress.I turned off the light yesterday at about 9.30 pm and when i turned it on at about 10.30 pm i saw one of them lying upside down on the gravel.No spots or anything else.Just dead.
Exactly the same thing in the same time today,an hour ago..Logically the same reason.And lying at the same place!!!!!!!!!!!!! :?:

Now,two dannios left.
What's going on?I suspect the serpae tetras..Or the guppies?But are they strong enough to knock down the fast dannios??
Water parameters seem to be fine.

temp:23 C
ph:7,5
nitrates: <25
nitrites:0
GH:12
kH:8d
now in tank:2 zebra,4 serpae tetras,4 guppies (2 male,2 female)
and a mistery.... :(

Just to be complete, what are the ammonia levels? You don't list them.

The ammonia levels could be part of the prob. Its lower then lethal levels at your temp and pH level but there shouldn't be any ammonia at all. If the fish were in any way weak/inbred/subclinically ill, the ammonia could have been enough to stress them even more. Of course, its hard to tell whether it spiked because of the dead fish, or they were at that level prior (how long were the dead fish in the tank?). And what's the pH of the tank they came from? Maybe thats part of the issue? I don't think it was the other fish to be honest.

My money is on acclimatization trauma. What day does your store get its fish in? Did you buy the danios on the same day or the next day? Did the bags get jostled when you were bringing them home? And how exactly did you acclimatize them? Not sure what you mean by the acclimatization method, as there are a few. Did you place the bag in the aquarium and add water to the bag, or place them in a bucket and gradually add tank water? I generally do the latter, and would be happy to provide a more thorough description if you're interested. (Here, or you can PM me.)

I don't believe the guppies or tetras would be able to mess with or catch the danios.

I went through the same trying process with my neon tetras (much more sensitive) when introducing them to my tank. The rate was just about 1 death per day for several days. I was devastated. As keeping an aquarium is no exact science, getting a diagnosis for these problems (especially online!) isn't always possible. Unless any other obvious problems arise, this might just be the usual introduction blues that some fish (and owners) experience. Sorry!

Good luck keeping the others!

Thank u all
@allivymar:pH is almost the same,about 7,5 - 7,6
@madasafish:The procedure i follow is adding the bags in the tank and add some tank water every 10 minutes.Not something unusual.I'd like to know more about the procedure you talk about! (a pm would be great)

I was told that overstocking is the main problem.You think that the tank is overstocked?

Unless any other obvious problems arise, this might just be the usual introduction blues that some fish (and owners) experience

sad bad(?) true..

Danios are pretty hearty. As a matter of fact they are my choice as a cycling fish in new tanks. They are inexpensive and seem to be able to survive the fluctuating parameters of a new tank. My suspicion is something happened at the LSF. Unfortunately fish have to survive a lot, shipping from place to place, low oxygen and high ammonia levels. And most LSF's Start selling them as soon as they receive them. It's no wonder we buy fish that just die sometimes.

Yup, danios are hardy, which is why I don't think this has anything to do with water parameters. I'm still thinking trauma.

Angelstiger. I know my sign-off line is "MTS is a blessing, not a disease," but I have to say that you seem to have a chronic case of this "blessing." 27 tanks, man (woman)! You're absolutely insane, or a god! My three tanks take up all the time I've got at home. Dunno how you do it!

And... show them off to us by taking pictures. I LOVE to see other tanks, and so does everyone else!

Back
Top Bottom