Convict Cichlid torn fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tim Wheatley

Aquarium Advice Addict
He killed his mate after I removed the fry and obviously he took a little bit of abuse too during the process.

He has good color, seems healthy and looks like most of the injuries he had have already healed (he had white patches on his sides, etc, but I wanted to know if a round of meds would help repair the shredded fins?

Here's a video:
DSC_6541 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Or should I just keep the water good and let continue to him heal? I didn't use any meds to this point.

What happens to be the tankmates and how many of each? I seen some serpae tetra in there and those could possibly be the suspect. I wouldnt use any meds until either a Bacterial or fungal infection breaks out. Good water quality is your best that can be done at this point.

As I said this happened with a breeding pair who were in their own tank at the time. I asked on here why it might have happened because I thought the fry were big enough, but nobody answered.

I moved the female in here first hoping she would recover, but she died. I then got some more baby convicts to find another pair and moved the adult into this tank. The Tetras are in there temporarily and haven't done any of this, it's improved a lot since the fight. The tetras will be back in a 29g as soon as I set it up again this week. :)

So the tankmate was another Convict, but she died. But thanks for the confirmation not to treat. The last thing I want is to reduce the effect of treatment in the future by treating when I don't need it.

Back
Top Bottom