Cure one thing, along comes another (Anchor Worms?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rokuzachi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After the fairly short battle with skin flukes (API General Cure did the trick), now it appears that the same fish might have Anchor Worms. There is no redness or apparent irritation around the area that I can see.

They showed up a day after the first dose of API. They looked like tufts of fungus at first but quickly grew to look more like worms. If anyone could help me with a positive ID or confirmation, I'd appreciate it. Recommendations for treatment would be appreciated too, as I've never actually had to deal with anchor worms before, if that's what it is.

They're still in quarantine, and at this rate it feels like they're going to be there forever.

Attachments

• Fishworm.jpg
    Fishworm.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 212
Thanks, I'll be picking that up tomorrow. It's a good thing these fish are tough :(

I'm starting to think this might not be anchor worm. It doesn't appear to be 'alive'... it doesn't move, pulse, wiggle or what have you. It's hard to detect where it's actually penetrating the fish's body, if it is at all. It is also a bit lumpy and around the "base" of it, looks slimy/fuzzy. The smallest of the... things... don't even look like worms. They look more like some kind of fungus or infection, I guess. I've read that visible Columnaris can look fairly similar to various other types of ailments including 'white parasitic worms that wave about in water movement'.

It has however visibly grown in the last eight hours.

Attachments

• A1Thing.jpg
    A1Thing.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 100
  • A2Thing.jpg
    A2Thing.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 91
  • A3Thing.jpg
    A3Thing.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 123
  • A4Thing.jpg
    A4Thing.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 90
More pics.

Attachments

• A5Thing.jpg
    A5Thing.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 94
  • A6Thing.jpg
    A6Thing.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 101
  • A7Thing.jpg
    A7Thing.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 85
I don't really know exactly what it is at thus point, but I'd still try the anti-parasitic food and see if it helps. Also work hard at keeping pristine water, cause that's probably what will kill it overall. Speaking if which... What are your water parameters?

Presently the tank is at .25 ammonia, 0-.25 nitrites and 5 nitrates. The tank prior to their residency had a very low bioload and saw the ammonia from the tap consumed within several hours. However now I fear that I've overwhelmed the bio-filter + anacharis' capability and I'm in the grips of a mini-cycle.

That said, the illness seems to be subsiding. I bought but have yet to feed the medicated food since I had just finished (as of today) treating the tank with Prazi + Metro for the flukes. In lieu of it I began a treatment of 50% strength Melafix + Pimafix + Salt (in part to combat the rise in nitrites). The growth of the 'things' have ceased and several are no longer present on the fish.

Their appetites at this stage have yet to be diminished. Their gills are still a healthy color and as long as the lights are on they are either exploring the tank or devouring my floating anacharis bundles.

Whatever it was appears to be gone today.

Unfortunately, while I was doing a water change, one of the fish thought it would be cool to swim into the siphon and damaged some of her scales. Guess I'll keep up the same treatment for the full one week duration and hope that the injury doesn't get infected.

Rokuzachi said:
Whatever it was appears to be gone today.

Unfortunately, while I was doing a water change, one of the fish thought it would be cool to swim into the siphon and damaged some of her scales. Guess I'll keep up the same treatment for the full one week duration and hope that the injury doesn't get infected.

Geez, those fish were in rough shape! Where'd you get them anyway?

The only LFS that had them :)

I asked around and no one else had any/was getting any and some even said they weren't on their vendors lists any more. These were the last 3 left of about 15 that the store got back in early Feb. Funny that places can get uncommon fish around here no problem but when I want some fish that you can catch out of a ditch in Florida, everyone is like 'nope'.

I think if they weren't durable enough to live in a ditch I'd probably have lost them already :rolleyes:

Rokuzachi said:
The only LFS that had them :)

I asked around and no one else had any/was getting any and some even said they weren't on their vendors lists any more. These were the last 3 left of about 15 that the store got back in early Feb. Funny that places can get uncommon fish around here no problem but when I want some fish that you can catch out of a ditch in Florida, everyone is like 'nope'.

I think if they weren't durable enough to live in a ditch I'd probably have lost them already :rolleyes:

Lol, that stinks. Best of luck to you and your fishes!

Back
Top Bottom