Cylindricis Cichlid Dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gsongy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

Please help! I have a Neolamprologus Cylindricus Cichlid that is just lying on the gravel. He will not eat or swim. There are no spots or unusual markings on the fish. All other fish appear fine at the moment, it is just this cylindricus.

What I have done recently:

I did a major 75% PWC.
I changed filter medium (sponges and carbon)

Fish started getting sick an hour after PWC. I took some samples and here are the results.

PH: 7.6
Ammonia: .25 (Looks less than .25)
NitrItes: 0
NitrAtes: 10
Temp: 80.5 (Usually 77 degrees, just did PWC)

Is there anything I should do?

Thanks,

Gerald

You could add cooler water to get the temp down a couple of degrees. It might be in shock due to the water change.

Also, you shouldn't change all the filter media at the same time since that is where the good bacteria, that breaks up ammonia and nitrites, lives.

You could also add extra water conditioner to your tank, like a cap-full or two. A lot of water conditioners say they make ammonia and nitrites non-toxic.

Thanks! I will try to get the temp. down and add a capfull of water conditioner. Stripes is still hanging in there, if he has not died yet, can I take that as a good sign?

Gerald

only time will tell. The longer he lives, I'd say the better chance he has. Don't take the temp down too much 1-2 degrees should be fine.

Also, you could turn out any tank lights to reduce further stress.

Back
Top Bottom