Dead Mystery Snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DGAFPolar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i noticed he didn't eat dinner and the next morning he was still there, but upside down....he died, i even moved him to his breeding tank and he never moved. The water is ok b/c no one else is showing signs of bad water and b/c i tested it lol. He didn't starve b/c plenty of flakes hit the bottom and he had air b/c i keep a 1in gap at the top and i have a bubbler, his shell was fine as well....any other clues? His day to day activities never changed....he never acted weird either, just up and dead....do i need to worry for the rest of the gang? (the community of fish he stayed with)

The question everyone will ask first are what are you water parameters?
Ammonia, NitrItes, NitrAtes...what are the levels?

Do you test daily? With those levels, you tank is not cycled or has destabilized. Your ammonia levels are just at the unsafe level and you should not have any NitrItes which is also toxic to your fish.

How long has your tank be running and how long have your stock been in the tank?

you know what....i let my girl watch my tank for a week while i was away....she added the potbelly and 2 more guppies, i didn't think it'd hurt but i guess she didn't change th water either.....this was a needless death, i shoulda just double checked and googled some crap....Cecil died for no reason...****

That might have been the problem. You have not mentioned the size and inhabitants of your tank but adding more can cause you ammonia to spike, hence more NitrItes. Others would know better if a week in unsafe water conditions can kill your snail.

Back
Top Bottom