Death after adding seaweed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikegtoltd

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,
29 gal community tank was set up about five years ago and stocked with 2 guppy pairs and 2 albino corys. Fast forward to last Sunday, took the kids to the beach and brought back some seaweed and put it in the tank. Next morning, about 15 of 20 or so guppies are dead and the corys are looking stressed...removed the seaweed, set up a 10 gal tank with tap water and transferred whoever was alive. The rest were dead by afternoon, even the corys. Don't know the seaweed species, but it was red/brown with small float sacs, not kelp, more frilly like Sargasso. I've put seaweed in this tank for for years from the same beach in San Diego with no problems, so this was a shock. Concern now is was the seaweed toxic, or did this come from Fukishima since the kill was so quick. Any ideas?

Hello, it sounds like since you have used the same seaweed before than this time it was toxic? I just don't think I've come across a FW tank with seaweed being added to it. Is it common in your area - maybe the lfs may know?

Back
Top Bottom