Discus Sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbree13

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey, so I've has m discus for about 4 months now with no problem, they all eat well and swim around the tank! Although on of my biggest discus turns almost completely black sometimes! I have no clue why! Water is perfect
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
PH 6.8-7.0
He eats and everything I'm just concerned! Please help!

Hey, so I've has m discus for about 4 months now with no problem, they all eat well and swim around the tank! Although on of my biggest discus turns almost completely black sometimes! I have no clue why! Water is perfect
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
PH 6.8-7.0

I've never kept discus, but it is my understanding that they turn black when they are stressed. This color change in and of itself is normal and not harmful (though the underlying condition that is causing the stress can be harmful).

Your water parameters look fine, and the fact that the discus in question is eating well is also a good sign -- with those things taken together I wouldn't be alarmed, though of course I'd keep a close eye out going forward.

The one thing that surprises me a little, though, is your nitrate reading. It is unusual for nitrate to be zero in a mature, cycled tank. Are you using the API liquid test? If so, you have to shake the heck out of bottle #2 before adding the drops, and then shake the heck out of the capped tube, per the directions, in order to get an accurate reading.

Good luck!

Thanks! :) and well I use the liquid tests! But it's not exactly at 0, but it's closer to 0 then 5.. So I don't know what to call it because it jumps from 0 to 5 on the test! I could try shaking it abit more! Thanks. :)

Thanks! :) and well I use the liquid tests! But it's not exactly at 0, but it's closer to 0 then 5.. So I don't know what to call it because it jumps from 0 to 5 on the test! I could try shaking it abit more! Thanks. :)

Again, I don't know much about discus, other than they are pretty picky when it comes to water parameters.

That said, I can't imagine even the pickiest fish having much trouble with nitrates less than 5 ppm.

Sorry I can't be of more help with what's ailing your discus, though. :(

Best!

jbree13 said:
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
PH 6.8-7.0

How big is your tank and your fish, Discus need around 10g per adult fish and also need to be in larger groups. Is the one turning dark the smallest? Or is it being chased around by a bigger Discus?

He seems to be better now, I moved them to another tank downstairs and started using RO water cause my tap water sucks.
He was one of the bigger guys, I have 5 of them and they're in a 55 gallon tank
I have 3 bigger ones, and 2 smaller ones
2 being 4 inches
1 being like 3-3.5 inches
2 being about 2 inches or so

Back
Top Bottom