Does heat treatment work on other parasites besides ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As far as I know, not too many of them if any. I know that heat can speed up the parasite's life cycle but not kill them. I have read numerous articles about how heat will not affect many other parasites. If I am mistaken, someone will correct me I am sure.

I have read that an increased temperature also works to speed up and kill the lifecycle of velvet. Unlike ich, though, the heat treatment alone won't eliminate the velvet - you must also use a medicine like copper or another parasite med that says it treats velvet. I wouldn't usually use a raised temperature plus medicine (may cause too much stress) but the articles I read said that the temperature only needs to be raised to 82 degrees to help combat velvet.

I have read that temp over 86 will kill aeromonas (an internal bacterial infection). Whether that is true or not, I don't know. I certainly would add antibiotics if I have a bacterial infection.

Back
Top Bottom