Dosing tetracycline in food and PH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alyssum

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I cannot seem to find any information on how to dose tetracycline into food for fish to consume. I read it is more effective this way and if you have a PH above 7.6 tetracycline is no longer effective. With my API test kit it says "7.6" for the regular PH test and "7.4" for the high PH test. I am uncertain which one I should be trusting and I don't want to treat into the water if it is going to be ineffective. I was treating with a different medication (metroplex by Seachem) by mixing one tablespoon of water, a crushed up wafer, a level scoop of metro and a level scoop of focus, then soak for 20 minutes. Would this scoop I use for metro work for tetracycline? I don't know what the appropriate dosage should be. I am treating 3 sterbai cories. I would be buying tetracyline from API which comes in packets. Thanks.

Im assuming you mean Oxytetracycline?
Yes it is better mixed in food, especially in high PH environment.
IDK why you would mix it yourself, when you can buy it premade for $1.50 a pound.
What exactly is your question/the problem?

I am not sure where I would buy premixed food medicine. I've looked at several fish stores and have not seen that. I feel that I am running short on time because my fish are getting more ill and if I order online it might take a while. My question is mixing it the same way I did metro safe? I don't know if higher concentrations would be deadly because they are two different medications. This is what I have:

http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=638#.VIUZ7pO2vcs

Well, your gonna have to do the math on that one. normally, they mix Oxytetracycline in food. Tetracycline is a gram positive antibiotic, what exactly is wrong with your fish, hopefully i can help before you loose more and spend more money. Pictures with a good description of the disease along with brief summary of your tank setup would get us on the right track. But i will try to find you a link. Thats great that you can mix it yourself, but here Ken's Premium Sinking Pellets with Oxytetracycline 2.5mm
you can get it for $1.50 per half pound and this is Oxytetracycline, a much more appropriate choiced drug for gram-negative fish diseases.
This link is the best direction i can point you in. DailyMed - TERRAMYCIN 200 FOR FISH- oxytetracycline hydrochloride powder
Click on mixing and dosing instructions.

Back
Top Bottom