dusty guppy???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nyrmel

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok this may seem strange but I have a guppy who is acting very odd?
I had gotten usd to him sleeping when the lights where out and being in very strange contortions when I find him but the last 2 day when I check on him after work (lights on) he has been sleeping nose in the air straight up and down behind the same leafhe comes out when I feed him feeds like crazy then goes back and lays there. I have kept the lights onl longer the last few days to try to help some struggling plants. And i noticed yesterday that when he came out in the morning he was covered in dots now I fed him watched him eat then stepped away when i came back I could not find a single dot on him or any other fish. same thing after feeding last night covered in spots then poof all gone this morning I am watching very closely and yes spots as he eats spots "float" away leaving him spot free after a few min wild swimming (he thinks he has to catch all is food after tracking it lol will not eat food that floats down near him) so again after lights on 10 min feeding is over no spots at all.
It almost seems like he is dusty after taking his naps. His fav leaf is near a air stone and often has a very fine coating of bubbles on it could those be sticking to him and what should I do. I dont think it is ich as they keep going away and none of the other fish show them.
oh and he is not near the top of the tank like he might be if it is a lack of O2 it is half way down in the shade of a broad leaf.

any thoughts any one had a fish like that before
my ammo and trite are at 0 trate at about 5 ph ~7 water soft

The bubbles from the airstone could possibly be sticking to him. If the airstone is near his favorite leaf, you could try moving the airstone.

You mentioned that he has the spots in the morning - if it isn't bubbles from the airstone, it could be a color change. Some fish become rather dull at night to avoid attracting predators. When the lights come on, they color back up quickly.

hmm he does decolor when the lights are out. and it isnt quite the same to be honest at first I thought he may have ICH the first time i say the spots but then they where gone so i didnt think that was it. thanks for the response i will simply keep an eye on it and see what happens

If it's ich you'll know soon enough! From your descriptions, though, it sounds like air bubbles from the airstone. I have seen a few bubbles sticking to my fish before. I wouldn't imagine that it's good for them to have too many bubbles sticking to them, especially around the gills or eyes. If it continues, I would move the airstone rather than the guppy's favorite plant. You have a good plan - just continue to watch and see what happens.

I am really hoping it isnt ich. I dont think I can deel with that atm. Of course if it is i will. The spots tend to be on his sides and tail as he "sleeps" nose straight up, I guess that is good since there havent been any spots near the eyes mouth or gills to interfer with those vitals. This AM he wasnt behind his leaf but instead was waiting for me to feed him before I turned on the light (the little pig) and he didnt have a singlespot my black molly had 2 near hertail but they "floated away" during the feeding frenzy I dont think pirannas have anything on my fish even the shrimp comes to the top. I will keep yall posted on where things stand I have some new stuff coming today some hopefully bulldozer proof decor I am getting a bullble river lets see him turn that upside down. also my new lighting so you know what I am doing after work lol standing there wet to the shoulders and rearranging stuff i will leave the fav leaf alone though as that plant really needs to stay in the corner it is tall and bushy and would otherwise overshadow everything else. After the tanks clears from its remodel I will tryto figure out the pic posting so yall can see
Have a great day

its probably little air bubbles my guppies get them on them when they play near the back wall of the tank. They swim around and there all gone i thought the worst t first then watched them its kinda funny to watch them play in the bubbles.

Back
Top Bottom