Dwarf Neons-Neon Tetra Disease??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JHawk

Aquarium Advice Activist
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the beset of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
Dwarf Neon Rainbow Fish. I started with a school of 12 that have been in the tank for about two weeks. They have slowly been dropping off with the same type of [/color]condition/symptoms. They start to lose color in the area near the tail & it looks a little like the scales are coming off (but then again, it may be the pale color there). They seperate from the school and drift in the upper part of the tank, having some difficultly with swimming. Eventually, they can barely swim and they just float around pathetically. Based on the research I have done, I'm worried it's NTD.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

Ammonia-0, Nitrites-0, Nitrates-less than 12, temp-78, pH- 7.0

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

38 Gallons-set up for about 2 months. Fishless cycled

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

FilStar xP2 cannister

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are there current sizes?

Now 8 Rainbows, 3 Dwarf Corys, 4 small Killifish. They are all pretty small.
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

Did a partial change 2 weeks ago (25%)

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

They are a few weeks old. I gradually dripped water into their bucket over an hour or so.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
No.

Thanks for the help-I'm new at this...can anyone give me help on how to post a photo? I will try and get one posted so you guys can look at the fish.

Posting a pic.

Hi Hawk. I don't have the answer for the NTD, but I do have the instructions for posting the pic. Click reply button (not quick reply...it's a shortened version). Type in your text and then scroll down to browse button. click browse to find the pic in your file. Select the pic and then click add attachment. Then click submit. The pic will be attached as in this example.

No, they are actually Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish...very cool little guys (quite expensive, I might add). Really struggling with posting the pic. I think it's a the pixel size being too large.

JHawk, I just about 15 minutes ago euthanized a tetra with what I think must have been NTD--I tried everything and nothing helped. At the end, he had just the symptoms you described, though it started with white raised spots. Anyway, hope that's not what's in your tank as I found it pretty hopeless. :(

First off, dwarf neon rainbows (or "praecox rainbows") are unrelated to the neons associated with ntd, but that doesn't mean they can't get it. Jungle makes a medicated food that claims to help control the spread of ntd, but I don't think it can help the ones that are already affected (if it is ntd), but either way the medicated food is probably a good idea. I have not personally tried the anti-biotic food but I am currently treating for camallanus with Jungle anti parasite food, but it will be a while before I know if it was effective. I bought both at Petsmart.

Back
Top Bottom