Dwarf puffers and garlic?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaiofcanada

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have dwarf puffers and the only thing they seem to eat is live food and snails. They refuse to eat any frozen foods I give them. I have tried bloodworms, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp and beefheart. They nibble, but never seem to eat it. The bumble bee gobies

I am concerned because they are starting to look a bit thin since I have not fed them live food in a month. I was trying to transition them to frozen, but they don't seem to be having any of that idea.

When I first got them about two months ago, they chowed down on live baby brine shrimp and live blackworms and had fat bellys. I fed them two times a week. They also stalk any snail that enters the tank.

To keep them fed, I am pretty much going to the lfs every week and getting a bag of free snails since I can not grow them fast enough. I am also having to drive further to another fish store that sells live brine shrimp and blood or black worms.

I have heard that you can add garlic to fish food to make it more appealing. Is this true? If so, how is this done, fresh garlic juice or actual garlic? Does the oil in the garlic clove matter?

I would like to not have to depend on getting live food every week, as the fish store sometimes has none for a week or two.

Interesting article...makes me wonder why so many people have suggested using garlic in the first place. I have even seen postes about it in the forums.

I broke down and made a special trip to the far away fish store and got some brine shrimp. The puffers now have brine shrimp shaped lumpy fat bellys now and I feel like a good fish keeper.

I am not sure if trying garlic is worth it, but I guess it can't hurt. I am also considering some diy ideas for brine shrimp hatchery. Any ideas on how to not have to buy food every week would be great :D

I dont know. I dont use it and not really sold on garlic but there have been alot of folks that claim they have had good results with it. I dont discount anyone`s experience.

Back
Top Bottom