dying fish, how do you get rid of it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
i came home to find one of my guppies floating upside, all pale, with the other fish nipping at it. it used to be very orange. the guppy still moves around once in a while (trying not to get eaten), even though it looks dead. i caught it in a net and left the net in the tank, what is the most humane way of getting rid of the fish since it is still moving around? since getting into the net, it stopped moving almost entirely since nothing is trying to eat it.

10 gallon tank, 2x dwarf gouramis, 2x peppered cats, 4x head and tail light tetras, 4 guppies (soon to be 3). water levels should be normal, i will retest later...

Fill a bowl with cold water and ice cubes.
This basically puts the fish to sleep and it dies.
There are other ways but I find this one the most humane imop

i used the ice cubes and water method, the fish stopped moving, no thrashing around, i am freezing it now to make sure it dies before disposal.

Many people find that chopping off their heads quickly is the best way, as it is instantaneous death, and they consider the freezing method to be slow torture. However, I have a little bit of trouble using a knife on a fish that is not quite dead yet. 8O

Freezing is only torture if the fish isn't asleep. They're cold blooded, so if they slowly acclamate to cold water, they'll eventually stop moving. You freeze them when they're unconscious. That, and I don't have to look at it when I kill it.

-j

Exactly! I don't think I could do it any other way. I can't even clean a fish that is caught for eating if it is alive. It is important that aquarium fish not be flushed, tho.

Back
Top Bottom