dying tetra/ weird guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dextera36

Aquarium Advice Newbie
one of my 8 neon tetras has been staying in the bottom back right corner of my tank, and is losing its color. also, my 4 fancy guppies are staying at the very top of my tank and rarely leave. (they still eat though). my other tetras seem fine and my shrimp do as well. i changed the water yesterday. the waters ph after the change was a 6. on a side note i recently also activated a co2 system. why are my fish acting weird?

Is your tank cycled?
ln ohter words, has it been set up long enough to support fish with good bacteria that grows that consumes the leftover rotting food so it dosent spoil the tank and kill the fish with (ammonia) bad bacteria.
You have to change the water up ro\to 50% a day until the tank is cycled into Nitrogen rather than harmful ammonia.
Use prime decolinatoar and change the water!

Guppies aren't very well suited for low ph/gH/kh planted tank life and tend to like well oxygenated neutral to slightly alkaline water. A lot of tank bred and raised neon tetra have been conditioned to neutral or slightly hard city/town water supplies. Neons are also starting to develop a disease similar to other mass Asian farmed dwarf gourami which is without a cure and kills in days. I think this might be contributing to your tank problems. I would trade out the fancy guppies for endlers hybrids if you're really into keeping a bright flashy livebearers in a planted tank, or maybe platy (I don't have any experience with keeping platy in a planted setting so someone else would have to chime in on that).

I've never heard anyone say guppies were a poor choice for planted tanks in my life. That's definitely more of an opinion. Most guppies are pretty adaptable and just need stability.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

the problem seems to have resolved itself after i changed the water and lowered the co2 input. the tetra has come out and the guppies are back to normal. for the record the tank is well established, and the guppies have been fine up until now

Dexter, I'm sure it was just too much PH. Do you have a drop checker?

Dexter, I'm sure it was just too much PH. Do you have a drop checker?

Too much CO2** and too low of a PH.

Back
Top Bottom