Ember Tetra possibly infected with NTD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gova

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

I'll start my post by presenting myself, provide a context and end by my main problem:

Im new into the hobby since January this year, However I saw many videos and read a lot about aquariums, fish, etc before getting my own
I got an used and cycled Fluval edge 12 gallons, the filter is an aquaclear mini 20 gallons.
My aquarium is planted with cabomba, java ferm, java moss, anubias petit and medium, and tropica soil powder substrate
I have a comunity tank with the following habitants:
3 male guppy
8 Ember tetra
6 Neon Tetra
3 Amano shrimp
3 Cherry shrimp
1 Assasin snail
I do water changes every week 25%
Here are my last readings from my kit test:
PH Amonia (0-4) Nitrite (0) Nitrate (0)
7.4 0.00 0.00 0.00
Since the beginning of my tank I have been experiencing some issues:

When I bought the amano shrimp had 6 and lost half
Also i lost 1 cherry shrimp initally
Then my fish got ick, but I treated them with Kordom ich attack and suffer no losses then, all symptoms dissapeard.
However, i saw on internet garlic was good for it, added 2 pieces in the water. Resulting in the water becoming cloudy and then I lost 2 tetra cardinal. Which I replaced.

My main problem started last week, one of the ember tetras stop schooling with the others and was at the bottom of the tank.
His fins were almost gone, had difficulty to swim and his insides became milky white around the column instead of being transparent like the others tetras.
I separated the ember tetra with a maternity net, so in case of death no fish will eat it and become inffected.
Also started treating the aquarium with Melafix. It's been one week, the tetra seems better, the fins started to grow again and the body becomes more transparent.
There was never any cysts, other injuries or deformities in the column (symptoms of NTD).
Im highly discouraged by this...:(

My question is, how long to wait before it,s safe to let it free? is it really NTD?
I shearched a lot on forums, the internet and videos on youtube. But so far I only know that its deadly and no cure.
If it's indeed NTD, how long will it take to die?

Thank you a lot for your help!

Cheers!

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 59
  • fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 67
  • test.jpg
    test.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 356
It could be the little Ember Tetra is stressed and the pH is above what they normally prefer.

You are doing well by keeping the water in good condition.

It also seems the little guy was being bullied and could have been further stressed. Losing his fins means he couldn't swim away easily either.

Also would keep up with water changes, even doing the 25% 2 times or 3 times per week. The best water conditions possible will aid in the fish's body being able to focus on healing (if possible) rather than just struggling to survive.

Maybe keep the little guy in the net another day or 2. The less time possible is best, he loses strength not swimming, but you also don't want him to be bullied.

If you have the ability and time to watch, and he seems to be trying to get out and seems somewhat strong, then try and see how he does in the general group.

Keep the lighting off, or low/lower than usual while he gets used to roaming around the tank. I have a 12G Edge too. To reduce the lighting I use a plastic mesh needlepoint "canvas" cut to a manageable size, with a small arc to stay back from the water flow a bit. It cuts the light down, I have some fish which do not prefer the brighter lighting.

Also if you wanted to lower the pH you might try RO / reverse osmosis or distilled water to reduce overall pH.

You can substitute a portion of the water, maybe start with 10 or 20%, Or try a sample of 25% of a gallon and see what the pH reads. Just to give you a base point.

If that seems to be a good amount, then just start doing the water changes using the mixed water and pretty soon the water will be better suited to the fish.

After things seem to stay stable / fish well in the tank and then if it is a big hassle to adjust the water with the water changes, you could start lessening the amount of RO /distilled and try again for your normal tap water.

Fish do adjust somewhat to the water they live in. Although you want to make the fish be able to have less stress, or the amount of stress could be why he isn't tolerating the higher pH.

Hi there!! Thank you so much for your time and the helpful reply. I will follow your instructions. I almost euthanized the poor guy, but I hate killing living things. Even if it was the easiest way, I decided to try and help him get better.

The little guy seems better overall, the fins grew back, and the spine is transparents like the other guys again. I really wonder what sickness he got. The only thing is that he lost some mobility to swim. He seems bit more stiff thant the other ember. And i have been putting few flakes for him to eat.. but i havent seen him eating...

Its a complex situation, im scared to let him out, dying and the other neons becoming infected...:confused:

Attachments

• ember.jpg
    ember.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 71
Then it seems he is getting better, if fins are growing back and looking more active. Just also know that he might get better, and then take a turn for the worse in a couple weeks. That just sometimes happens if there internal organ damage.

Again, excellent water quality, with no ammonia, nitrites and keeping the nitrates pretty low is important in the healing process.

Keep us posted on how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom