EMERCHANCY!!!!!!! AH!!!!! ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The sticky article at the top of this forum is excellent. Read it first.

To treat this with heat, you need to be above about 86 F. Do not raise temperature too quickly as this can be an additional source of stress to the fish. They recommend 1-2 degrees every 12 hours at most.

You can use treatment chemicals in addition to heat if you want, but be aware that some species, especially catfish, loaches and invertebrates, can be harmed by them. The article I mentioned has details.

If you were to use heat alone to treat ich, you would need to up the temp all the way to 88-90. So keep turning the temp up (a degree every few hours as tolerated by the fish). You would want to increase aeration in the tank & watch the fish for signs of stress. Note that you need to get the temp up to at least 88 to kill ich. Lower than that, & you are just increasing the speed ich multiply. <Note there is also at least 1 strain of heat resistant ich in florida.>

I personally do not use meds for ich. I do however use salt. Depending on the fish, this may be an option. <However, salt will kill plants at the level needed to kill ich, so you will need to treat in a QT.>

Some have good results with ich-cure. However, there is a risk to your biofilter & or plants. Persoanlly, I would only treat with meds in resistant cases, & then only in a QT.

If you were to use heat alone to treat ich, you would need to up the temp all the way to 88-90. So keep turning the temp up (a degree every hour or 2). You would want to increase aeration in the tank & watch the fish for signs of stress. Note that you need to get the temp up to at least 88 to kill ich. Lower than that, & you are just increasing the speed ich multiply. <Note there is also at least 1 strain of heat resistant ich in florida.>

I personally do not use meds for ich. I do however use salt. Depending on the fish, this may be an option. <However, salt will kill plants at the level needed to kill ich, so you will need to treat in a QT.>

Some have good results with ich-cure. However, there is a risk to your biofilter & or plants. Persoanlly, I would only treat with meds in resistant cases, & then only in a QT.

Ok thank you.

Back
Top Bottom