Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2004, 05:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Eye Problem

Ok, I'm asking this question for my brother in law, so bear with me.

Several weeks ago, his fish developed a problem in one of his eyes... the pupil has turned completely white. It almost looks as though the pupil has "filled up" with cotton. The fish is still eating, the eye isn't swollen and there hasn't really been any change in behavior.

Any thoughts?

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." - Dennis Wholey
kreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 05:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like a cataract actually. Cloudy eye tends to involve then entire eye including the iris, not just the pupil. Could be caused by trauma, nutritional problems or heredity. There really isn't any treatment other then surgery (just like with people). The fish won't be able to see out of that eye, but as long as its the only one affected the fish should be fine.

Just to be sure tho, there are some parasites which can invade the eye. It doesn't look like thats the prob, but have your bro-in-law double check to make sure he can't see anything wiggling in there.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 05:52 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Hi...This hasn't happened to me (or my fish, rather!) but I read in the May issue of Aquarium Fish magazine that common causes for cloudy eyes are cataracts (which does look like your pic), internal parasites, bacterial infection, vitamin A deficiency, or low pH.

The article suggests to test the pH, since low pH is the most common cause. If it's lower than 6.8, and especially 6.4, do water changes to bring the pH up. Does the tank have a lot of fish, because a large bio-load can cause pH to drop as more fish wastes create more acid in the tank to cause the pH to drop. Water changes should clear the problem up.

If water changes don't help, try an antibiotic treatment for a bacterial infection. Make sure the fish is getting a good diet. There are vitamin supplements you can add to the water. I've seen liquid vitamins on the DrFosterSmith.com site, but I don't have any experience with them myself.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...0&N=2004+22763

I don't know what to do about a cataract! I hope your brother-in-law's fish gets better. The fact that the fish is eating normally and has no other behavioral changes is a good sign.
Old 03-07-2004, 05:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Heh *high fives An* simulpost!

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 05:56 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Hi Allivymar!

Tags
eye

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com