Fed up with fish keeping!!!! [emoji35]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mishyc

Aquarium Advice Activist
Couldn’t find my betta this morning! Searched the tank for him and couldn’t find him ( he’s usually the first to greet me) I decided to open the lid for a better look, and that’s when I found him and a neon tetra dead in the filter!!

The parameters have been fine and the fish were fine the day before nothing unusual. I’ve had the neon over a year and the betta a month, I just don’t get it!
I thought the neon was the one that looked faded but that one is still fine and swimming round the tank with the rest of the neons and cardinals[emoji35]

I’m just at a loss! I have had my neons a year and 3 months since setting up the tank, but have had no success with other breeds. In a year, I’ve put 4 guppies, 2 dwarf gourami and a betta in with them and they all died with in 3 months of putting them in, some less than a few weeks. Some looking ill and not eating leading to dropsy and the rest, fine one day, dead the next!!!!

I just don’t get it!!!!!
IMG_2475.jpg
RIP MR Merlot [emoji17]

Yeah the heater is working fine, I check first thing on a morning and on a night and the temperature never moves! I’ve examined the filter and the only place I can see that they got in is where the cable goes in from the back to the motor, even then it’s not that big a gap, but the only explanation! The thing is, it would still be a squeeze for the betta. So I don’t think they died and got sucked in there because it is in the back right hand corner of the tank and where the gap is, and is between the glass and the actual filter itself, the fish all sleep on the left side of the tank
Here’s a picture IMG_2447.jpg

Do you rinse out the filter pad in chlorinated tap water and or change it often?

By doing that you can throw away your BB or kill a lot of it off with that chlorinated/chloramine/chemically treated water. Could be a few different things.

I would do a couple of back to back water changes just to make sure to dilute any possible things in the water. Then see how the fish are doing. As in are there more deaths in the next few days or weeks.

Do the fish have sunken looking stomachs or any whitish or greyish patchs on them, ant worms or tiny bugs on them where there are openings like eyes vent, gills???

Neons will be really pale when they are resting or hiding when it is lights out so that they can be less noticeable from predators at night.

Fed up with fish keeping!!!! ?

I rinse the filter media in tank water maybe once a month, if I need to change the filter media, I put a new carbon one in, then about 2 weeks later I take the old algae pad out and put the new algae pad in. I only change the carbon when the water starts flowing over it instead of through it and the algae a few weeks after that.

The rest of the neon tetras and cardinal tetras are fine, swimming together, eating, bright in colour and look just right, not fat or thin.

I rinse the filter media in tank water maybe once a month, if I need to change the filter media, I put a new carbon one in, then about 2 weeks later I take the old algae pad out and put the new algae pad in. I only change the carbon when the water starts flowing over it instead of through it and the algae a few weeks after that.

The rest of the neon tetras and cardinal tetras are fine, swimming together, eating, bright in colour and look just right, not fat or thin.
From the picture It looks like most of those plants are real, Do you use CO2 injector? Ive heard horror stories of DIY or even store bought injectors killing fish during the night while the plants are asleep and not filtering the CO2 out of the water as efficiently

From the picture It looks like most of those plants are real, Do you use CO2 injector? Ive heard horror stories of DIY or even store bought injectors killing fish during the night while the plants are asleep and not filtering the CO2 out of the water as efficiently

Hi, they are all fake plants [emoji4]

Back
Top Bottom