Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2007, 05:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Figure 8 swimming up and down the glass

I just added two figure 8 puffers and a black molly to my 24 gallon nanocube. The two puffers seem to be getting along well and they generally seem healthy. They have been eating a ton (cooked jumbo shrink and pond snails). However, one of the puffers constantly swims up and down the glass at one spot of the tank. He has done it so much that he has started to wear down a tiny white spot on his nose. I checked the water parameters: nitrates, nitrites, ammonia are all almost zero (I had just changed half of the water in the tank a few days ago). The pH is around 7.8 as I have crushed coral in my filter. There are a ton of plants and hiding spots so that isn't really a problem. What could be causing this behavior? Also, will his nose heal? Is there anything I can do to promote healing?

Old 03-24-2007, 07:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to WaterPond Send a message via Yahoo to WaterPond
My old puffer (which was a dwarf puffer) did the same thing alot, but the fact that you aren't seeing any nitrates... hmmm.

did you cycle the tank?

Are the plants that you speak of, live?

Canadian Aquarium Auction!
WaterPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Tank

Yes, the tank is fully cycled. All of the plants are live. Some people suggested that he might be seeing his reflection, but he also does it at night.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to WaterPond Send a message via Yahoo to WaterPond
could be... i cant be sure though.

Canadian Aquarium Auction!
WaterPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I just added two Figure 8 puffers to my 30 gallon and I have one that's doing exactly the same thing though he's not damaged his skin yet. How's your puffer been acting in the days since you posted this?
Old 04-10-2007, 11:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Better

They seem to be doing better. He has stopped incessantly going up and down in one spot and now explores the entire tank. I think putting plants in the area where he would go up and down at helped force him to stop.

Tags
glass, swimming

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com