Filter cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Conrad

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had my tank running smoothly now for about a month. I have a 94 litre tank with 5 neon tetra, a cory and 2 dwarf gourami. My ph and nitrate levels are reading well and I'm making 10% water changes once a week. As I'm new to the hobby I'm not sure how and how often to clean my filter. I'm using fresh start to purify the tap water before changing. I'd like to purchase a vacuum also to ensure my tank is being given maximum attention, any ideas where and how much these cost in south wales area. Finally, I like these fish: kribensis, Bolivian/German ram, rainbow and harlequin. Can anyone tell me if any of these fish will be ok with gourami?? Thanks.

Conrad said:
I've had my tank running smoothly now for about a month. I have a 94 litre tank with 5 neon tetra, a cory and 2 dwarf gourami. My ph and nitrate levels are reading well and I'm making 10% water changes once a week. As I'm new to the hobby I'm not sure how and how often to clean my filter. I'm using fresh start to purify the tap water before changing. I'd like to purchase a vacuum also to ensure my tank is being given maximum attention, any ideas where and how much these cost in south wales area. Finally, I like these fish: kribensis, Bolivian/German ram, rainbow and harlequin. Can anyone tell me if any of these fish will be ok with gourami?? Thanks.

The filter can be cleaned using old tank water. It holds all the good bacteria so never never use tap water. Make sure u are not over feeding to insure a clean stable tank

I think there may be two things going on in this question; first of all, are you asking about cleaning the filter media, such as cartridges or sponges, etc? Also, you say you are using fresh water to purify the tap water -- not sure what you are referring to here, but what you should ideally be doing is using a good water conditioner like Seachem's Prime by adding it either before the new water goes in your tank (dose the whole tank per the instructions on back) or directly into the buckets of new tap water (if you're using buckets).

What I was referring to in my previous comment was how often and what is the correct procedure to clean my filter (pipes/tubes) whatever it takes.

What I was referring to in my previous comment was how often and what is the correct procedure to clean my filter (pipes/tubes) whatever it takes.

Oh, okay, so not the media -- just wanted clarification so I could assist you better (some people refer to their filter MEDIA as their "filter" that's why I questioned it). With regard to cleaning the pipes and tubes, this I normally do after some time has passed and it just "feels" like they should be cleaned; normally when I strip the filters down for maintenance, but you don't have to do this routinely like you do water changes, top offs, media rinsings, etc.

I'm actually trying to find a better way to clean my intake pipes and such because as of right now, I rinse them under scalding hot water but this doesn't get the internal gunk off the curved parts of the tubing, etc. because the algae and other crud is really baked in there -- some "pipe brushes" or something along those lines are good for this, but I still need to pick some up...

ArtesiaWells said:
Oh, okay, so not the media -- just wanted clarification so I could assist you better (some people refer to their filter MEDIA as their "filter" that's why I questioned it). With regard to cleaning the pipes and tubes, this I normally do after some time has passed and it just "feels" like they should be cleaned; normally when I strip the filters down for maintenance, but you don't have to do this routinely like you do water changes, top offs, media rinsings, etc.

I'm actually trying to find a better way to clean my intake pipes and such because as of right now, I rinse them under scalding hot water but this doesn't get the internal gunk off the curved parts of the tubing, etc. because the algae and other crud is really baked in there -- some "pipe brushes" or something along those lines are good for this, but I still need to pick some up...

Fantastic advice, thank you very much that has cleared my mind in regards to cleaning my filter thanks

No problem; I wish I could have given you more specific scheduling info, but that's all I could come up with...

You'll get a "feeling" when the time is right to clean out the tubes and everything; after the filter has been running for some time without being looked at or cleaned...

Back
Top Bottom