Fin ripped Male guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

98kshooter

Aquarium Advice Freak
Come home from work this morning and find one of my Male guppies severely tail ripped. It's so severe the little guy is having trouble even swimming. any Ideas or advice would be welcome.....dont have a Iso-tank but can set one up to save him. Hate to lose him, hes really a show piece in the tank. And dont think anyone else in the tank did it all the other fish are pretty peaceful (Neons tets, guppies Glo-light tets, Bleeding heart tet...and two rainbows. Wondering if the little guy got stuck in a rock will searching fer food.....

Poor lil guy. =(
I don't have any useful advice because I'm a newbie but I'm in the same boat as you. I moved my male guppy to an iso tank because I think it was either another of the guppies that got him or a gbr that has since been returned to the store. (I saw them both giving him a lil chase.) He seems so depressed in the iso tank. I don't think he likes being solo. The couple tail rips my guppies have had returned to normal soon enough but I don't know what the prognosis is if its really torn up. I "think" I see slight improvement in mine but that could be just wishful thinking.
I hope he recovers soon!!
I'll be stalking this thread to see if anyone knows what treatment should be done.

Your Male Guppy

Come home from work this morning and find one of my Male guppies severely tail ripped. It's so severe the little guy is having trouble even swimming. any Ideas or advice would be welcome.....dont have a Iso-tank but can set one up to save him. Hate to lose him, hes really a show piece in the tank. And dont think anyone else in the tank did it all the other fish are pretty peaceful (Neons tets, guppies Glo-light tets, Bleeding heart tet...and two rainbows. Wondering if the little guy got stuck in a rock will searching fer food.....

Hello 98...

The fancy tale on a male Guppy is a target even for the most peaceful fish. Sharp objects in the tank can also present a problem. The damage is done and won't heal to the point it will look like it used to. But, you can help by keeping the water pure. Keep up with your weekly water changes, hopefully you're changing out close to half the tank's volume. Feed a good diet. Frozen foods are the most nutritious, because they contain no additives. I feed my Fancy Guppies frozen brine and mysis shrimp, bloodworms, plankton and krill, but just a little. Minced garlic is great for fish. It has many vitamins and is a natural antibotic.

Check the enviroment for anything that might be sharp or rough and if possible, remove it.

Keep the water clean and feed a varied diet, just a little and feed a little minced garlic. A healthy tank environment will help heal the injury as much as possible.

B

Wow i never would have guessed garlic in a tank lol. So hiw do you go about adding garlic? And how much per gal.. I have a 20g and ive had guppy split tails also.

Feeding Garlic

Wow i never would have guessed garlic in a tank lol. So hiw do you go about adding garlic? And how much per gal.. I have a 20g and ive had guppy split tails also.

Hello Lady...

Get the garlic minced. It's sold in small, glass jars. But, be sure to get the garlic with "no additives". You just want garlic and moisture or water as the the second ingredient. Additives in food are nothing more than chemicals to add to the "shelf life" of a food product. That's not something that I feed to my fish.

Anyway, use a small spoon and drop just a few pieces into the tank. That's all you need for a small tank. My Guppies and Corydoras like a little bit once a week or so.

B

Well I havent seen him today (heavily planted tank) Among Other life disasters I havent had time to do much searching (Car engine burned up) But I did a 50% or better change this morning. Have NO Garlic, heh, and now NO car to get any. If hes laying low and food is nearby he may pull out. When I get a moment I will search

Update: just did some planting in the tank...while the rest of the crew was in sheer panic from the shiny giant tweezers, the lil guppy was no where to be seen??:confused::confused::confused: I even moved plants around to accommodate new, he was now where in sight! Strange......he must have a good hidey hole :hide: or is belly up somewhere :nono:

Back
Top Bottom