Fin rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

follicle

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, tonight I'm doing my usual "pass the time by looking at the fish" routine, when I notice that one of the frontal fins of my Black Ghost Knife is noticeably shorter than the other. I also noticed that there is a pretty large gap in his tail. Of course, my first thought is fin rot, but it could be a battle wound. I have three Serpae Tetras and two Rosy Barbs in the tank along side him. Could they have done this?

In any case, if it is fin rot, what should I do? I'm good on water changes, since I do a 25-35% water change every weekend. I've read a lot of different methods to cure a fin rot case, but I'm not sure what would be the best, so as usual, I turn to the forum! I just want to prevent any other fish from getting fin rot.

And another question. I'm sure the answer is no, but is fin rot irreversible? I just feel really bad for the guy.

Thanks!

Fin rot is treatable but it sounds more like damage than rot.
In either case I would treat with Melafix to prevent fin rot and aid in healing.
Fin rot is not contagious but it is easier to treat if you can quarantine the fish.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll watch him during next and keep an eye out for any worsening symptoms.

So if I do end up treating him, I have to quarantine him? How long should I keep him separated after treating?

Thanks.

You don't HAVE to quarantine, it is just easier. especially if you have a large tank. Quarantining to a small tank means you will need less meds and you are medicating fish that don't need it although the meds used to treat it will not hurt the other fish.

Back
Top Bottom