Fin rot in betta fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I recently bought a betta from PetSmart and I noticed that he has fin rot. So I quickly did a 50% water change and added 5 teaspoons of canning/picking salt (no iodine). Over the past few days, I've been doing 50% water changes daily and adding 2 teaspoons of salt back in. I've been treating for 4 days now and he is not looking any better, he's actually gotten worse.

The pictures are posted from oldest to newest. As you can see, his tail is melting away quickly. I've also noticed that his colour has gotten more dull.

He is in a 5 gallon tank, no tankmates. I've been doing 50% changes daily, he gets 3 bloodworms a day. Everything is 0PPM. 80F, weak internal Tetra filter. Not cycled, but I've been doing large water changes to keep the toxins down. I've also removed carbon.

What should I do?

Attachments

• IMG_0642.JPG
    IMG_0642.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0646.jpg
    IMG_0646.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0569.jpg
    IMG_0569.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0684.jpg
    IMG_0684.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 72
I don't think the salt you are using is the same as aquarium salt? I would do the water change without any salt and just focus on clean water.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't think the salt you are using is the same as aquarium salt? I would do the water change without any salt and just focus on clean water.

Canning and pickling salt is the same as aquarium salt. Aquarium salt is just regular as salt with no additives and iodine. Canning and pickling salt is the same.

I got him three weeks ago and his finrot was really minor so I left him with clean water and did 50% changes daily. It slowly got worse and that was when I started to use the salt.

Clean, fresh water is a number one priority and a little flow to keep the fins moving and not letting them sit too long in a less than clean location (like dirty sand/substrate) can help.

I had no idea. I never considered pickling my fish....

I read that Metafix is dangerous for them? Doesnt the tree oil damage their organs or something?

His water is clean. 50% changes daily. His filter is really weak.

His fins look worse today, its melting away quickly. I don't know why it is not getting better, his water is very clean.

The picture is a bit blurry. I took it this morning. Ill get a clearer one when i get home. Its a lot worse than it was yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_0717.jpg
    IMG_0717.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 55
In my experience, the best med for Fin Rot in Bettas is Nitrofurazone green. It's one of the ingredients of Furan2 and Jungle/ Tetra Fungus Guard if you can't get straight Nitrofurazone green powder. I suggest you start treating him soon or else the infection may do more harm than just to his fins.
Follow the directions on the package as to water change schedules and feeding. Improperly treating with these meds can lead to resistant strains of the bacteria which will make future issues a lot harder to deal with.

In my experience, the best med for Fin Rot in Bettas is Nitrofurazone green. It's one of the ingredients of Furan2 and Jungle/ Tetra Fungus Guard if you can't get straight Nitrofurazone green powder. I suggest you start treating him soon or else the infection may do more harm than just to his fins.
Follow the directions on the package as to water change schedules and feeding. Improperly treating with these meds can lead to resistant strains of the bacteria which will make future issues a lot harder to deal with.

Thanks. Ill try to pick some up tonight.

Back
Top Bottom