First time dealing with ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satchel_Paige

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I came home from work today and have noticed tiny white spots around most of my fishes fins. After researching it seems it's what I've been fearing since getting into tanks is here. Luckily I have some aquarium salt laying around just in case this happened. I added a tablespoon to a 5 gallon bucket and did a water change. I had just changed the water a few days ago but figured it couldn't hurt. I have a 55 gallon with 2 pearl gourami (one male one female) 5 rummy nose tetra, a bristlenose pleco and 4 apistogramma agassizi (1 male and I believe 3 female.) I am running an aqua clear 50 and an aqua clear 70 along with a sponge filter rated for 40 gallons. I have eco complete substrate and the tank is heavily planted with a few pieces of driftwood. There are 5 caves all made of stone. I have slowly started increasing the temp from the 79.5 I keep it at. I started that two hours ago and it's just above 80 now. How much salt should I be adding? And should it be daily? Should I be doing daily water changes or not. These are the things I'm most confused about. Also how high should I get the temp to? I was considering 82 but not sure if it should be higher or lower. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If I read correctly the ich is in the 55g planted tank.

In which case I wouldn't do salt. Your plants won't take it well. I'd actually use plant safe meds OR if you just don't want to do meds, transfer all fish to another tank/container and so the heat/salt method in there.

Either way, I'd do daily water changes and vacuuming. This is because ich will free float in the water looking for hosts and vacuuming helps with removal.

If you choose to treat them outside the display tank, let the display sit empty I believe it's 30 days? To be sure all ich is gone.

Edit: for heat/salt you want temp at 86.

Caleb

Get the temp up to 86 if you want it to kill the ich.
Those fishd like they will be fine with the temp but watch fish.
Vacuuming every day will help remove the ich that fall off the fish.

This link is most informational;
Ich | The Skeptical Aquarist

I am the medicine guy.
Kordon rid ich(formalin and malechalite green) for me and ALL my fish if needed.
Know the enemy!
read the link.

Just get some quick cure. I am so sick of hearing people preach going thru some heat and salt and daily pwc with vacuming, when all they have to do is put a few drops of this in the water and problem solved. Formalin has been used sucessfully in the fish industry for 50 years to kill parasites and mould/bacteria.

Attachments

• apquickcure.jpg
    apquickcure.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 46
Just get some quick cure. I am so sick of hearing people preach going thru some heat and salt and daily pwc with vacuming, when all they have to do is put a few drops of this in the water and problem solved. Formalin has been used sucessfully in the fish industry for 50 years to kill parasites and mould/bacteria.

Some people like myself just try to avoid meds. Many also have salt on hand anyway so it's a free treatment.

Caleb

I know caleb. Good for them! I like that approach, It is better for the environment, but im just one of those people that say YOLO and use chemicals. Some things are just too stubborn for the non-chemical essential oils and salt and stress coat type stuff to respond too. But hey, if you dont believe in using chemicals, good for you.

I know caleb. Good for them! I like that approach, It is better for the environment, but im just one of those people that say YOLO and use chemicals. Some things are just too stubborn for the non-chemical essential oils and salt and stress coat type stuff to respond too. But hey, if you dont believe in using chemicals, good for you.

In more deadly diseases like columnaris I'm all for meds that stuff is nasty.

But ich is pretty simple to get rid of :)

Caleb

ya, melafix or salt is not ever gonna stop columnaris, despite nooby people recommending it sometimes.

ya, melafix or salt is not ever gonna stop columnaris, despite nooby people recommending it sometimes.

I've encountered columnaris once and salt seemed to help hold it off till meds arrived. It has some use to it but i.e. pulsar dare use it as a cure.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom