First time having ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

munoza

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 5.5 gallon tank its been active for about 4 months. I am new to aquariums ect. willing to learn new ideas. I have one dwarf pleco, two dwarf frogs, one snail, and one Betta; they were all healthy and happy ammonia levels zero and all that. Then I made an impulsive decision and bought four black neon tetras. I noticed one had a little white fuzzy thing buy its mouth. Everyday that went buy I noticed the tetras getting the itch on their fins ect. They were the first. Then my Pleco and Betta have ich. Im not sure about the frogs or snail. So I did a little research and took action.

Today I took all tank decor out and boiled them over the stove for about 30 minutes. Also I gravel cleaned and did a major water change, then I put the necissary amounts of ammonia blocker, stress coat, and benifitial bacteria in. Also I took out all the gravel and Boiled it for about 30 minutes. I let the filter do its job for about a half hour so it would delute the normal chemicals I put in. Then I put the recommened medication in afterwards. I also took the snail out and incubated him in a seperate countainer, because I did not want him to die from the medication. I will do a 25% water change everyday for 7 days. I will leave all decor out and rocks for 7 days. and see how things go. Also I will keep testing amonia levels everyday.

I know that I should have bout the tetras, they need a bigger tank, but am I on the right path to fixing the problem? Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

Ich can be erraticated by raising temperature up 1-2 degrees an hour to 86-88. Let it sit for a couple of weeks and gravel vacs every couple of days....

Add a small aquarium heater with thermostat. I think one for your size tank would be inexpensive. Heaters are a great way to keep your aquarium temperature from fluctuating. Having a steady Temp. Goes a long way in keeping healthy fish.

I have a heater but I dont think it has an adjustable thermostat. Its only been one day, so I am not sure that I see any reults yet, besides the fact that the fish are still alive. Is it ok to put the gravel back in the aquarium or should I leave it out still.

Thanks Thumper for all the support. Its been 4 days since I took action with my ich problem. My pleco looks great now! He is back to his normal activities as well. My Betta is improving very well almost back to 100%. My black neon tetras are 50/50 they were all infected with ich and 2 of them are fully recoverd and acting normal as well. The other two which is were the itch started, unfortunatly I had to dispose of them because they were suffering. One could barley swim and looked just infested and it wasnt getting better, and the other was showing similair syptoms. I think the others recovered because I caught it earlier with them. My snail is still doing good, he is in a temporary incubator. I am letting the boiled gravel dry for a couple days, then I will put it back in the tank. I will then monitor for a few more days before I decided to put the decor back in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom