Fish at top corner of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yala923

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good afternoon all. I have 2gauramis,2swordtails, 5platys, 2cory catfish: 45g tank. I added 2rock ornaments last night and did a 25% water change. When I woke, all of my fish are huddled at the top right corner of tank. Their usually all over the place especially to greet me. All nitrates,nitrites and ammonia are fine, have no way of testing ph. What do you think could be wrong?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414520993.230041.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would do a large water change and remove the things you added to the tank. Water change is always your first line of defense when the fish aren't acting right.

What kind of rock?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414524456.813246.jpg
They look like this

Did you make the arrangement?

No someone else did. She used 100%silicone and bought the rocks. I soaked and rinsed the arrangement in water then added. I've removed them and about to do a water change . I figure it must be the culprit since nothing else has changed. They are SO not worth it!

Ya, I'd say it was leaching something your fish did not like, a few wc's should remedy the situation.

Okay thanks so much for your responses

I've done a 50% wc.. I'm really nervous! I'm praying all my fish will be ok and no suffering ?

Their still floating there

Definitely something in those rocks, keep doing water changes and it might just go away. Keep the accesories out for now. I feel the fish might make it out. Time will tell especially if its all the fish that are ill.

If they are all gasping for air, there is probably a problem with the oxygen flow along with the new decor. Do you have an air pump? Keep the lights off. Maybe put in less water than usual.

Don't quote me on this, I think you can float a bag of ice in the tank too. Don't put it directly into the water. I did it before and it helped, but I don't want to make any promises.

And of course, water changes.

Why the ice? I'd keep performing wc's at 30% temp matched with a little extra prime, leave the lights off too. They're probably going to be freaked out until bedtime, if they're still there in the morning than something is seriously wrong.

It was to help lower the temp a bit, but that is why I said don't quote me. It did work for me, but OP can do more research on it.

Oh, and turn the heater off for a bit.

If you are Leary of adding ice, you can place a fan (remember to be safe) so that it moves the surface of the water and increase aeration.

It was to help lower the temp a bit, but that is why I said don't quote me. It did work for me, but OP can do more research on it.

Oh, and turn the heater off for a bit.

We don't know the temp.? Couldn't a temp change just stress the fish further? Especially if we're dealing with a foreign toxin..
Edit- op, what are you testing with? Strips?

We don't know the temp.? Couldn't a temp change just stress the fish further? Especially if we're dealing with a foreign toxin..
Edit- op, what are you testing with? Strips?

I honestly don't know. I just know it worked when I did it for oxygen issues. It was only to decrease it slightly. You know how they say when you use heat to treat ich, make sure to monitor the oxygen since increased heat reduces it?

Since all the fish are at the surface trying to get air, it seems like an oxygen issue - even if it was caused by a foreign toxin. It is possible the oxygen issue is causing further stress, so it doesn't hurt to address it. An air stone would be ideal.

The points you bring up are definitely things to consider. I figured I'd put it out there. If people disagree, then it is a good place for the OP to,do more research.

Thank you all so much..I've moved them to a hospital take because after my water change, these tiny white dots instantly appeared all over everything..it is horrible!!like a film. Haven't moved the Cory's yet because I'm not sure if they can be in "fungus clear" by jungle. I keep the tank at 78* their is also floating bamboo in the tank. This white film is also all over the filter cartridge .. I'm kinda freaked out,don't want my babies to die

I also have an air stone along the whole back perimeter of the tank

Back
Top Bottom