Fish comes home sick...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mayreee

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am so mad I am about to cry. I think this hobby stresses me out to much. To make a long story short I went to the LFS to get some fish for my 30gal. I got 6 tiger barbs. One comes home with white cotton on its mouth. I looked it up and it may be this:

"Names: Columnaris, Cotton-Wool, Cotton-Mouth, Flexibacter, Mouth Fungus"

I didn't have a chance to look at the fish before I got home because my mom took me and she is real sick so I was in a big hurry. My car is broken down so I can't take them back. :(

I would call the LFS (that I hate, but I went there cause it's the closest one) and complain but they hate my already cause they are rude and know nothing about fish and I let them know it. Today I let them know what I think about dyed fish. :lol:

Anyways what can I do to cure this. Any at home treatments?

Thanks for listening to me :)

Also Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 10
(Cycled with bio-spira)

EDIT- Actually I don't know if it is so "cotton like". It looks like its mouth rotted away a little bit.

PLUS I told the STUPID guy to give me 6 that are all the same size. Well he was way off!!!!

EDIT- I bought some corys from them for the 10 gallon. He said there were "green" corys. So I call back to ask their exact name and he says "I have no idea thats what it says on the invoice."

Also I put the sick tiger barb in a 2 gallon fish bowl I have, for now. (it was empty)

Use Kanacyn, do the full treatment even if the fish looks good after a couple days. Kanacyn is the only think I have seen completely beat down bad Columnaris. As far as home remedies go, keep doing water changes. If that Goldfish Bowl does not have a heater or filter, you are not doing the fish any favors by keeping him in there.

Anyway, as you have learned, you are responsible for picking out and and make sure fish are healthy before you bring them home. Most LFS just want to sell you fish and get on to the next customer. Also, this stresses the important of a QT tank. Even if fish are not visibly sick when you get them, they can be carrying any number of parasites or dieases.

check out liveaquaria.com, they've got a bunch of cory species listed with pictures so maybe you can figure it out from that? Good luck with the sick barb!!

Back
Top Bottom