Fish Dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

millergr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a freshwater aquarium (29 gal) that I have had established for 6 months. I do weekly 25% water changes and vaccum the gravel at least bi-weekly. Over the past week or so I had been noticing more algae in my tank. I decreased the lighting to the tank (I had been leaving lights on 14 hrs per day, went down to 6 hours per day. In addittion I added 2 mystery snails. Last night when I got home from work I noticed 2 dead fish on the filter tube. I immediately removed the fish and inspected the others for any signs of distress and could not find any. The remaining fish were all swimming, no evidence of rapid breathing or any other sign of illness. This morning I had a molly dead in the tank. I added a teaspoon of salt and had to leave for work. I am scared to even go home tonight to check the tank.

I guess my question is what happened, did the snails introduce disease or could the sudden decrease in lighting have caused somthing bad to happen? I buy fish from a local retailer who is an expert with fish and is very particular with his fish. (He would not sell to me until he tested my water) I did a check of Ammonia which was 0, Nitrate 0, Nitrite 20. (I think that is right as I geat the NitrIte and NitrAte confused)

Any help is appreciated.

I hope it's nitrates 20, nitrite 0.

What do you have in your tank overall? What did you lose?

Did you empty the water in the bag that the snails came in into your tank?

I have/had:
3 Platy (1 died)
4 assorted Mollies (2 died)
3 Tiger Barbs
1 Pleco

I did not empty the snail water in the tank, I actually just picked the snails up and tossed them in after the had acclamated to the water temp for about 20 mins

A 6-month old tank with those numbers and of that size? Bi-weekly--meaning 2x a times a week?--water changes?

Unless those tiger barbs were harrassing the live bearers, I'm nearly prepared to declare this nothing more than bad luck.

I don't see anything you've done wrong, assuming your careful to replace water gently and to match the temperatures on the new water during the PWCs.

I'm sorry this isn't more helpful. It stinks to lose your fish, and you've got a reasonable load of fish. With that many gallons in your tank, I might suggest upping your tiger barb population. They do like to school, and that might help to keep them from targetting the livebearers, which is the only unresolved theory I have. You could likely double or triple your tigers safely without filling your tank.

Im hoping that it was ar un of bad luck. I just got home and all seems well. None of the remaining fish look stressed and they wanted their supper.

I have been slow to stock the tank as I was hoping to get the babies from either the female mollies or platys. I will give it a few days before I buy more just to be sure that all is OK. Thanks for the help

I have just noticed over the last few days, i have had a dead female guppy, and then last night i had another dead female guppy, and this morning, i have noticed one of my tetras have gone black on its back, and is trying to swim, but carnt!

what should i do!!!!

Tayne, you should read the sticky at the top of this forum, and then make your own post. All the information the sticky asks for is important in determining what your problem is (water chemistry test results, tank size and how long it's been running, how many and what kind of fish you have, etc).

Back
Top Bottom