fish injured

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hockeydude15

Aquarium Advice Activist
in my cichlid tank i have a great rock setup, although there is one area in the front corner where one of my fish always tries to get through. While i was away he got stuck and the other fish were tanking bites out of him. Now it appears that he has lost his right eye. His fins are chewed as well. I put him in my hospital tank and he seems to be doing well.

What should i do to care for this fish?

Why would the other fish attack him, my dad thinks it is because they dont get fed enough, but i feed them a lot in the morning and night.

..i will post a picture..

I would treat with some melafix and stress coat in the hospital tank. Melafix cn work miracles on torn fins.

The fish could have picked on it for a number of reasons. They might have thought it was dead, or sensed it was in trouble and tried to help it out, or perhaps it was in another fish's "terrritory" and they wanted it out.

Good luck.

also what is going to happen where his eye used to be? will it heal over?

hockeydude15 said:
also what is going to happen where his eye used to be? will it heal over?

Yes, it will simply heal over. It's important, however, to have pristine water until it does heal. You do not want any nasties to get in there and cause any sort of bacterial/fungal infection of the eye.

Keep up on water changes, and keep treating.

Back
Top Bottom