fish leap possible head trauma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbimflyer

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello again, some of you may remember me from before when I posted about my son's 2 Goldfish Sharkey and Priscilla. Well Priscilla is still doing well as before, but Sharkey was having the problem. Not sure exactly what it was, but he wasn't eating and had curved body and would swim in circles.

Well long story short... He came back around to normality, He was eating again although I was feeding him seperately from Priscilla b/c he seemed to have forgotten how to aggressively go after the food before she does. His body straightened out normal, and his fins opened again like peacock. He was doing well, and behaving normally, with no signs of swim bladder issues at all.

But then it happened... I mentioned earlier that i had been feeding Sharkey seperately, and that was by taking him out of the main tank in a net and putting him in a small plastic container. But Wait before you pass judgement on the technique not being proper which I know... let me tell you first hand that it worked very well. He did not seem to get stressed by this or withdraw, the complete opposite happened. He ate well, he started finishing all of the food, swimming straighter, he appeared happy and content when I would put him back in his tank. But one night I decided to do a thing I now regret, I scooped him in the net as usual, and decided I would feed him a 2nd time that day, and as usual in his feeding container... but this time for what ever reason he flipped out and started swimming in very fast circles, after he built up enough speed he leaped right out onto the floor. The floor is stone, and the drop was about 3 1/2ft. This I could not believe, and had no answer why Because he never attempted anything like this before. :nono:

Now I am not sure what's wrong with him, and I'm hoping you guys and gals can help. I don't know what's wrong but here's what I do know... he's swimming weird like very floaty again, he's laying on the bottom alot, both on his side and straight. he's not eating, and appears to have a black and blue on his head between his eyes. I should have just been happy that he ate once that day pretty good, and left him alone. Also they are not big, they are about the size of a standard Bic cigarette lighter. Please help

Aw poor baby!! He may have a bruise and is concussed and time will heal him. I don't think there is too much you can do but wait and see

Poor guy. Well the other day I opened the lid to my 46g in which I have 11 female Bettas who get OVERLY excited with the thought of food & one of them proceeded to leap out of the tank onto the hardwood floor narrowly missing becoming a doggie snack. I scooped her up put her back in the tank,she was definitely dazed & stayed perfectly still in one spot for a awhile, 3 days later you'd never know it happened. Moral of the story most fish are pretty hardy & recover from most things, keep an eye on him. There isn't really anything you can do unless you want to QT him to lessen the possibility of stress & be ready to treat if need be. Unfortunately you can't, that I know of, treat for internal injuries if there are any.

Poor guy. Well the other day I opened the lid to my 46g in which I have 11 female Bettas who get OVERLY excited with the thought of food & one of them proceeded to leap out of the tank onto the hardwood floor narrowly missing becoming a doggie snack. I scooped her up put her back in the tank,she was definitely dazed & stayed perfectly still in one spot for a awhile, 3 days later you'd never know it happened. Moral of the story most fish are pretty hardy & recover from most things, keep an eye on him. There isn't really anything you can do unless you want to QT him to lessen the possibility of stress & be ready to treat if need be. Unfortunately you can't, that I know of, treat for internal injuries if there are any.

Yeah I'm not sure if any internal injuries or maybe his head like Marsh said in her post, but I didn't think they weigh enough to get injured falling. Oh well I guess I learned something new.

Add a little stress coat. I have it on hand, because every now and then. one of my many fish will think its free willy!

Most will bounce back

I hope so b/c it sux seeing him laying in his side with a possible concussion... I feel like I failed him. :(
But I also noticed that whereas Priscilla can float effortlessly at mid-height, Sharkey is falling towards the bottom and then wiggling himself into a series of loops until he gets tired and falls back to the bottom to rest. Can someone explain why?

Well honestly my ex and all his pals were mma fighters pro-am and pro and concussions really just take time and luck...

You have to reassure yourself that this was out of your control, you had no reason to expect he would suddenly react like a spaz to a routine water change.

I think your fish loves you and would hate to see you take the guilt of this on! You rock!

Well honestly my ex and all his pals were mma fighters pro-am and pro and concussions really just take time and luck...

You have to reassure yourself that this was out of your control, you had no reason to expect he would suddenly react like a spaz to a routine water change.

I think your fish loves you and would hate to see you take the guilt of this on! You rock!

Thanks, makes sense... I think he is starting to improve now that he is eating again.

see? just keep the water clean and he'll be right as rain.

Yes indeed, plus the salt. Update... He is doing better now, eating alot more and swimming in place instead of dropping to the bottom like a little Rock. :fish1:

Back
Top Bottom