Fish panting after water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brry

Aquarium Advice Regular
Not sure what happened here.

Vacuumed the gravel, then changed out about 25% of their water, and they started panting. I used water from the exact same source as the last two times (I buy a 5 gallon bucket.)

The only thing I can think of, is a tiny trace amount of chlorine may have got in there, from when I washed the baby-sock filter in the sink in between vacuums.

So just in case I added water conditioner. Still does not seem to have helped.

I considered that. The water was colder than what was in the tank. But I've heated it back up and still with the panting.

Any fast change of water temperature can cause very fast adverse reactions. I use a thermometer to check my water temp before I add water. This is what I have learned to do over the years. It probably also has to do with gas exchange. The oxygen level could have been drastically different also. Most aquariums have a threshold of oxygen. Say perhaps you have a lot of fish in a tank. Even as those fish get bigger and start to consume more oxygen. they can reach the threshold of gas exchange and then lower the amount of oxygen enough to breathe fast or pant. A aquarium only contains so much dissolved oxygen. You lower that with more fish or as they grow.

You should be adding sufficient water conditioner with each water change to detox any chlorine/chloramines or heavy metals. Add it directly to the bucket of new water before adding it to the tank or add it to the tank before refilling. You should also be matching the temp of the new water to that of your tank water- big temp swings can cause fish alot of stress. How are you refilling the tank? If you are just dumping the water in, it can cause an excess of dissolved gasses in the water thus the fish panting in an attempt to assimilate oxygen which is being displaced in the water. Try adding the water very gradually to prevent this from happening.

Well it's day two and I still have panting fish. Including the gourami. And they come up to the surface to breath. Haven't seen him come up to the surface or try and gasp for oxygen so it's not an oxygen issue. And it isn't water quality because it is exactly the same water.

I'm trying to put my finger on what exactly I did differently this time.

I think it had to have been the shock of cold water coming in, the temperature difference. Is that normal then, for them to still be panting the next day? How long until they recover?

I refer you to my signature:

Don't worry about my water parameters. My levels are at 0. My water is filtered by reverse osmosis and then ionized, instantly neutralizing all pathogens, bacteria, viruses, fungi, algae, metals and pollutants.

Could it have been from breathing in bits of stuff that were stirred up when I vacuumed the gravel?

bubbles...

try adding a air stone to the aquarium and see if there is a change in the fishes behavior. the more surface agitation you create with bubbles and current the more surface area you have for gas exchange. it sounds like a oxygen threshhold problem. this is just something i have learned from years of expiriance.

What do you use to reconstitute the water? It could be from stirring stuff up but that wouldn't explain why they are breathing hard a day later.

I was going to ask the above as well. if you are using RO water you need to reconstitute it with minerals like RO Rite or Seachem Replenish. Pure RO water is stripped of all nutrients and these need to be added back in.

I'd also try adding an air stone if you don't have one and see if that helps.

This is not a water quality problem. I have been using the exact same water for over a year.

This particular water I poured in out of the identical bucket of water I used the last two times. Even if it lacked minerals a 25% change wouldn't have made a differance.

No offense, but I was trying to narrow down the possible causes of the problem and you aren't answering the questions, so I don't know what you want me to do. We are here to help, I promise.

Just because you use RO/DI water does not mean that you cannot have a water quality problem, water parameters are important to know for a few reasons.

For one, RO/DI water is stripped of buffers, if not reconstituted it will be extremely prone to pH crashes, which in turn affect the fish directly and indirectly, since a low pH level also halts nitrification, which in turn leads to a buildup of toxins in the tank.

No the fish's gills haven't turned a color or anything.

jetajockey- I'm pretty sure if I had a water problem it would have manifested itself before a year. I faithfully change it every week. There is no toxin build up. I become frustrated with this constant outcry that there is something wrong with the water, when in the end, it has always turned out to be something else that had nothing to do with it: That the fish got nipped in the fin by another fish, that the fish was too cold, or that it was actually normal behavior for that type of fish all along.

Anyway, it was only one fish that was doing all the gasping and he appears to be better now. The rest did it for a minute and stopped. Lord knows what all that was about. I might have injured him when I poured in the water, I just kind of dumped it in this time. And it was cold. So that probably shocked him.

I dont know about your panting fish (unless they start getting wierd white stuff on them) but you really shouldnt rinse your filter in water with chlorine. Use old tank water :)

It wasn't the main tank filter, it was the filter on my battery powered gravel vacuum. But yeah, I'm not doing that again.

jetajockey- I'm pretty sure if I had a water problem it would have manifested itself before a year. I faithfully change it every week. There is no toxin build up. I become frustrated with this constant outcry that there is something wrong with the water, when in the end, it has always turned out to be something else that had nothing to do with it: That the fish got nipped in the fin by another fish, that the fish was too cold, or that it was actually normal behavior for that type of fish all along.

Okay, I'm not sure what you are talking about, are you referencing other situations or this one in particular? There is no 'constant outcry'. You might see people jumping to conclusions about water quality, but don't apply that to everyone, there are plenty of people here who have tons of experience and knowledge and actually do know what they are talking about.

Most of the time when there is a fish gasping issue it can be narrowed down to a water issue, so its important to rule that out. You assume your water is fine because you use RO/DI, but that doesn't really mean anything other than a clean water source. Toxin buildup still happens in tanks, even established ones, and I've seen tanks crash unexpectedly after years of being fine, so it is worth asking these simple questions.

People come here for help, and to get that help we need to know specifics to better understand the situation and give good advice. No need to get defensive about it.

Anyway, it was only one fish that was doing all the gasping and he appears to be better now. The rest did it for a minute and stopped. Lord knows what all that was about. I might have injured him when I poured in the water, I just kind of dumped it in this time. And it was cold. So that probably shocked him.
That's not what you said in post 7, you mentioned that multiple fish were still gasping a day later. It could be a shock thing, I guess, but I've had the same thing happen when adding unaerated water to a tank as well, so that was another possibility that I put out there. Usually though when it is a low dissolved oxygen issue, the panting thing goes away as the water becomes aerated.

It could be a simple temperature shock thing, I've never had that happen and I routinely do water changes with 10-15 degree differences just to induce spawning in certain species. A 20% water change doesn't change the temperature that much, if my calculator is working right a 60F water change of 20% would only drop an 80F tank down to 76F. But either way, best of luck with it.

What are your

- water source (not what kind, where exactly are you getting it from. Are you 100% sure it is 0tds RO/DI water?)
- Temp
- pH
- Ammonia levels
- Nitrite levels
- Nitrate levels
- method of reconstituting RO/DI water
- water change schedule
- water change method
- water conditioner
- gravel vacuum schedule
- stocking level (what fish, and how many, are in your tank)
- feeding schedule
- filtration method
- filter cleaning schedule
- filter cleaning method

Answer all of these questions thoroughly and we can definitely start to narrow down the problem. Simply saying "my water is good" means absolutely nothing, as clearly there is a problem. Provide ALL of the answers to the specific questions I have asked, and we'll see where we can get.

We are trying to help, but we can't do anything if you give us no valuable information to go on.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom